Whichever is practical for the application 14 73.68%
Whichever the user is more skilled in 4 21.05%
blank or die -- there can be only one 1 5.26%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Stance on programming languages - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses
robotchaos
Hi everyone,

so I am curious what everyone's opinions on programming languages are. role call, time to weigh in
jkl
Write in C.

Other than that:
  • Stay away from hipster languages. If the language has a Slack channel, don't use it. If "Hacker" "News" recommends you to use this language, don't even think about it.
  • There is no "best language" (but Common Lisp). There is a whole bunch of "worst languages" though and all of them are used for web applications.
  • If it works, don't replace it.
robotchaos
i agree jkl. i am trying to learn c, but due to some conditions, put it off and am looking back at it.
apk
what language has a slack channel
robotchaos
id guess ruby, python, javascript. though i dont know first hand
jkl
Go does, of course.
pyratebeard
(06-04-2017, 03:45 PM)jkl Wrote:
  • Stay away from hipster languages. If the language has a Slack channel, don't use it.

B, b, but... Python is sooo easy...
r4ndom
(07-04-2017, 06:31 AM)pyratebeard Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 03:45 PM)jkl Wrote:
  • Stay away from hipster languages. If the language has a Slack channel, don't use it.

B, b, but... Python is sooo easy...

Exactly my thought. If I need to script something, which is not trivial in bash, I use python.

Other than that I got a glimpse at Haskell, which I like, and I'm trying to learn C, the real *nix language. And there is of course Java, which is all over the place.
---------------------------

What a random Github page
jkl
(07-04-2017, 06:31 AM)pyratebeard Wrote: B, b, but... Python is sooo easy...

All languages are easy, depending on your previous knowledge, the openness of your mind and your will to go new ways. Python, however, is not only easy but also simple while still enforcing you to write all of your code with great verbosity.

(07-04-2017, 06:43 AM)r4ndom Wrote: If I need to script something, which is not trivial in bash, I use python.

I used to use Lisp or Perl for scripting.
But I have recently noticed it's actually fun to write things which could be done with a script in C. And yes, I am weird.
venam
(07-04-2017, 09:24 AM)jkl Wrote: But I have recently noticed it's actually fun to write things which could be done with a script in C. And yes, I am weird.

Sometimes it also depends on constraints.

Maybe you don't have the time to learn a new language.
Maybe you want to contribute to a big project and it's already in a certain language.
Maybe the language has facilities for the tasks you want to achieve.
Maybe the language doesn't allow you to do what you want to do.
Maybe the resources are low.
etc..

There are many factors that come into play when choosing one language over another.

But if the question is "If you had all the time in the world and no constraints" then it's another story.
I'd go for the *fun* factor then.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode