Bookwyrm — development thread - Programming On Unix
Tmplt
Short update: after a friend of mine helped with some debugging last night the idea of library-fying the backend sprung to life. Restructuring bookwyrm to be but a library managing plugins, and exposing a sane API for this so one can easily write a front-end upon is seems to be a better idea. This will cut down the code-base a ton, and rids me some of the the responsibility of a decent front-end, which I frankly don't enjoy as much to maintain and develop. I will still write a TUI since that's what I want, however.
Houseoftea
This is really neat!
I hadn't seen this thread before but I'm glad I did.
I'm sure it'll be helpful for uni.
Tmplt
(12-01-2018, 10:36 AM)Houseoftea Wrote: I'm sure it'll be helpful for uni.
Yes, this is the main reason behind the project! It will be especially useful for CS curriculums where most text books in use are in English, most of which are on Library Genesis.
NetherOrb
As a cs student I cant thank you enough.
Tmplt
(24-02-2018, 01:41 AM)NetherOrb Wrote: As a cs student I cant thank you enough.
I thank you for your appriciation thus far, but the project isn't in a usable state yet!

By the by, I'm currently having some issues with pybind11 on one of my systems. If anyone is interested in helping me, please fetch the resolve-35 branch and execute the unit-test. Does the test exit with an uncought exception? For some reason it does on Arch Linux, but not on NixOS.

Code:
$ git clone https://github.com/Tmplt/bookwyrm.git && cd bookwyrm
$ nix-shell # if you're running NixOS
$ git submodule update --init --recursive
$ git checkout -b resolve-35 origin/resolve-35
$ mkdir build && cd build
$ cmake .. && cd unit-test && make && cd ..
$ unit-test/bookwyrm-test
Tmplt
Above issue has been fixed, along with another segfault, with some very appriciated help from the pybind11 devs. Unfortunately the fix is Linux and GCC specific (please see this issue), but I do aim to make it work with multiple compilers and platforms.

Only two issues remain under the first-release tag; a reviewal of the Libgen parser and the writing of proper CMake installation targets. A friend of mine has offered to do some QA before I tag a release. Hopefully no too serious bugs will appear.
Tmplt
bookwyrm is now in a quasi-usable state as of v0.5.0 (out now!) A fresh copy can be acquired at your closest mirror — probably git.nixers.net:bookwyrm.git or https://github.com/Tmplt/bookwyrm/archive/v0.5.0.tar.gz.

I welcome anyone interested to append to the ever-growing list of various issues at https://github.com/Tmplt/bookwyrm/issues/53, or by sending me a PM/email. All of these issues should be resolved before the release of v0.6.0, the deadline of which is undefined. I can only confirm that bookwyrm builds on Linux with GCC for now; sorry about that.

The only available plugin right now is for Library Genesis.

EDIT: the AUR release turned out to be a bit wonky. I'll see about fixing it.
Tmplt
Bookwyrm now installs all files into correct directories, just specify a CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and it shall be adhered.

The python libraries bs4, furl, requests and isbnlib are required for the libgen.py plugin.
Tmplt
A first usable release (v0.6.0) has now been released! Get your tarball over at https://github.com/Tmplt/bookwyrm/releases! Unfortunately, GitHub does not check out submodules before building the release tarball, but build instructions are available in README.md. After all submodules are initialized it's the well-known CMake song and dance. Don't forget to install all Python packages listed in etc/requirements.txt.

In its current form, bookwyrm only queries a subset of Library Genesis, namely its text book search, and foreign fiction (foreign here meaning not Russian, I believe). Subsequent releases will query all of its categories, along with other sources.

Known problems: bookwyrm cannot be built with Clang, and I'm unsure if any *BSD systems will work; thus far I've only tested with GCC on Linux (NixOS specifically).




Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode