Can't figure out what distro to use - GNU/Linux
asyncial
A few days ago, after a thunderbird update which broke my calendar and a ffmpeg update broke my sound, I decided to finally ditch arch on my laptop. I was already fed up from the attitude of the community and the maintainers. But what now? I thought, I would try a more "beginner-y" distro. So I installed Solus, because of it's optimized libraries from the clear linux project. I tried to install my environment (i3-gaps, vivaldi browser, polybar, thunderbird, neovim, polybar, compton...) But compton didn't have a package. And the package maintainers made it very clear, that there won't be one.

Alright, next I looked into manjaro. I thought, maybe an arch with others maintainers might be nice. But the installer of manjaro didn't let me install on an encrypted XFS root with unencrypted boot. Since I have no plans to change my filesystem choices for no reason, I looked further.

I found void linux, which didn't boot up on my machine, neither on a cd nor a usb drive.

So I settled for OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, which runs for now. I needed to create a package for polybar and use an unsupported package for i3-gaps, but it works. With flaws. One thing I can't get my head around is the package management, which uses rpm, zypper and yast. The combination makes it really hard to keep the system clean. For example, I haven't found a way, how I can list all packages, that are not needed by any other package.

So now I am looking at the more obscure (or common, for this forum ;)) options, which all have their flaws. Crux and Gentoo are source-based, which sucks on a notebook. Alpine, which I really really like, doesn't support most of my everyday applications, so I would need a chroot environment all the time. On *BSD the same problem, especially for vivaldi. I am considering NixOS right now, but it is just so different to what I know. I am also interested in Slackware, but I think their packages are quite dated, is this true?

So do you guys have any other idea for me to try? I would love to hear your suggestions.
tudurom
Why not make a compton package for Solus? It seems to be the easiest solution.
josuah
One more community around arch, with different maintainers: ArchBang, always switching between systemd and OpenRC. I use it as it provides a live iso with graphical environment, and has an install script ("abinstall" in right click menu or somewhere in /opt) which lets you skip steps and do them yourself.

This is the one I use for now, until I have the time to setup FreeBSD. If you want "beginner-y" BSD distro you can try TrueOS, based off FreeBSD.
asyncial
(20-04-2017, 11:01 AM)tudurom Wrote: Why not make a compton package for Solus? It seems to be the easiest solution.
That is a possibility I forgot to consider, you're right. But sadly it wasn't the only thing that bothered me. It also had problems with my touchpad for example, but thanks for the idea, I might reconsider it.
(20-04-2017, 11:47 AM)josuah Wrote: One more community around arch, with different maintainers: ArchBang
Does it use the same repos as arch? If yes, how do they support OpenRC? Sounds interesting.
venam
You could start by listing your criteria and that'll help filter which repo suits your needs.
josuah
(20-04-2017, 06:11 PM)asyncial Wrote: Does it use the same repos as arch? If yes, how do they support OpenRC? Sounds interesting.

For the OpenRC-specific packages, there are other repos, for all the others, there are still the Arch packages.

More on Arch without systemd here...
asyncial
For now I'm back to arch, because I need the machine to work properly this weekend. But thank you all for your suggestions. I might switch to the manjaro repos or install openRC soon.
Mafia
What is it that is so necessary about your applications? Particularity these: "vivaldi browser, polybar, thunderbird, neovim". From what it seems, you're Linux dependent. Unfortunately if you can't find alternate ( I dare say better) programs you'll be stuck right where you are. If you were to move from Linux, it seems you'll be destined for FreeBSD as they like to support Linux applications over there.
atbd
If you like rolling-release distro and don't mind a longer install process you could try gentoo.
It will give you the choice over everything :)

Furthermore, the most expensive packages have a binary version in general (chrome, firefox, libreoffice. etc)
Deathbox
Debian testing has been my go to OS for many years now. I hear great things about Fedora but I don't see the point in switching anymore. Use the unofficial non-free images if do you plan on installing, saves the hassle of finding an ethernet to install just to install the wifi package later. I've used FreeBSD and Arch when I was in school but the older I get the fun in customising the OS has faded. I just need a scalable system that works and that's been Debian for me, I use the gnome 3 default DE after a few tweaks.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode