People complaining about your tiny font - Desktop Customization & Workflow
darthlukan
When people ask me about my small font size I just say "I'm far-sighted and smaller fonts simulate distance for me." Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, they leave me alone. I am far-sighted and smaller fonts are more comfortable for me to read, whether it's because of my far-sightedness or not is up to an optometrist to explain. People are more apt to leave others alone about something if that something has to do with a perceived physical necessity (it's like they're too embarrassed to continue discussing it), so it's been a pretty effective response.

So far as my font settings: Dejavu Sans Mono at 8 - 10pt or Inconsolata at 8 - 10pt depending on the program.
jkl
(02-06-2017, 07:15 AM)kerunaru Wrote: Other subject are why I use VIM or why I use git on terminal and several others.

Just want to know if anyone of you found yourself in the same situation.

Yes, but more about the other subjects. People have different perceptions of efficiency, I guess.
kerunaru
Whoa! Lots of interesting points of views... Thanks buddies; it's kind of comforting reading your posts :3
rocx
(02-06-2017, 07:15 AM)kerunaru Wrote: Other subject are why I use VIM or why I use git on terminal and several others.

Everyone else Wrote:Why can't you act like a normal person and use what we do? It's good enough for us...
josuah
If you want to troll people hard with tiny font, you can try this: http://github.com/josuah/miniwi

Maybe they will not dare to ask this time.
josuah
(02-06-2017, 08:51 AM)venam Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 08:17 AM)kerunaru Wrote: I can see more lines of code with tewi:8 than DejaVu Sans:13. Explain yourself! D:

How many lines more and why do you need to see that many lines at once.
Why is scrolling not an option?

Not about font itself, but I do not hesitate to add space in code: use blank lines to separate variables declaration at the top of a function, add two blank lines in-between functions... Breath, breath !

What incited me to do so: http://git.z3bra.org/pm/file/pm.c.html

Then, I have no more need for strong syntax highlighting, as then, the keywords, variables... stand out on their own (see http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/pikestyle > Issues of typography).
z3bra
Glad to see my code as inspiring for other people!
pm is my biggest project (in term of SLOC) so yeah, having everything readable and correctly arranged was a huge requirement. I wanted to see if I could still keep track of the code, even when keeping eerything in one file. I think I did, so I'm happy to see other people using it as an example, thanks!
z3bra
Regarding fonts, I tend to use what's available, and like the ability to adjust the font on the fly (must life changed the day I realised st(1) can do that!). I do agree that tiny font really look better, and when it comes to readability things must be easy to read. Bigger fonts do help in this case.

I read pages of logs all day, and am constently changing the font. First a tiny one to have the most info available on the screen, in order to search for specific keyword, patterns amd such, and then increase the font by 3-4 points when I find an interesting line to read it comfortably.

Once you get used to it, you can't come back!
josuah
(11-06-2017, 06:58 AM)z3bra Wrote: Adjust the font on the fly [...] increase the font by 3-4 points

Some font like terminus have a bunch of sizes available while still being bitmap. Maybe it is possible to build such a font with other arbitrary fonts for every size: At size 10px font-a.bdf, at size 12px font-b.bdf, at size 14px font-c.bdf...

And you may know that it is possible to dynamically load a font for linux in text mode (TTY) with setfont *.psf.
z3bra
Nobody (except RMS, perhaps) really work in a TTY anymore. We usually all fire up X and put a terminal fullscreen!
The idea of using different fonts for each size sounds fun, but it could be extremely distracting. Like, I change the font to "zoom" on something, which means I have a mental map of what I expect to see at a bigger font. Having the font changed could make it hard to find the text again

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help