z3bra
I got two different worklows myself. First one happens at work, and is rather boring: Tltwo huge monitors, one with a browser fullscreened, one with a tmux fullscreened.

Then there is my home flow. One small screen only. I usually move windows and resize them all the time with my mouse. I make heavy use of groups to hide windows together and background tasks to focus on things. for example, I have 2-3 terminals windows to code, then background them all, open a few browser windows (I use surf), then hide them all and bring back the terminals. If I need specific windows, I add what I need to a new group, amd show only this group, and so on. Works for me, and it makes me look like a wizard ;)
r4ndom
(03-07-2017, 06:15 PM)z3bra Wrote: Works for me, and it makes me look like a wizard ;)

Like that :D Your workflow video inspired me to switch back to stacking.

For the last year I used a tiling WM, but after a while I got tired of resizing windows, switching workspaces when working in the browser and coding and so on. So I switched to stacking with wmutils extensions and it's nice to be back at it. I know I probably have to resize windows, but do not change others while doing so.

So for me the most imporatent argument in "tiling vs. stacking" is the personal preference.
hades
I like i3 for the simple fact that I can mix floating and tiling. If I'm gonna be, say, using a terminal and a web browser at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice half my screen for the terminal. No, I'll just keep my term floating, and position it over the whitespace on the webpage I'm reading, and keep my browser fullscreen.

But when I wanna work on 3 files simultaneously in vim, push them to my github periodically, and monitor an IRC channel at the same time, tiling becomes valuable.
acg
(04-07-2017, 11:31 AM)hades Wrote: But when I wanna work on 3 files simultaneously in vim, push them to my github periodically, and monitor an IRC channel at the same time, tiling becomes valuable.

Why not do this with a terminal multiplexer?

I think this is the case for most of us, we don't need too complex windows management since what we use "simultaneously" is a browser and a terminal emulator.
kyberkhrime
(04-07-2017, 11:40 AM)acg Wrote: Why not do this with a terminal multiplexer?
On the other hand: Why do this in / with a terminal multiplexer? My window manager does his job quite well, and gives me a lot more flexibility than a terminal multiplexer.
acg
(05-07-2017, 03:22 AM)kyberkhrime Wrote: On the other hand: Why do this in / with a terminal multiplexer? My window manager does his job quite well, and gives me a lot more flexibility than a terminal multiplexer.

Well yeah, this is my perspective, from a floating wm user. The most efficient for us is to set that to a terminal emulator when needed.

As for this argument, +1 to tiling, since it automatically handles a common scenario without external tools.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help