Your dream project - Programming On Unix
grah
(17-10-2017, 03:12 PM)Tmplt Wrote: Lately I've been wanting a torrent client with the same model of mpd. I currently use rtorrent, but I find the configuration confusing, and having to run it in a detached screen/tmux session feels needless. And I'm not even going to mention the endless trouble I've had when trying to set rutorrent up. Unfortunately I'm quite busy with both uni and other projects, but one day... (it goes without saying that I'd use libgbt).

EDIT: I want this so I would be able to do everything I want through a CLI, but this might also be possible with rtorrent and its XMLRPC interface. I'll have to investigate this further.

EDIT2: I'd aptly name it gbtd, methinks.

Have you ever used btpd? I'd say it's very similar to mpd and you can do everything through a CLI.
z3bra
btpd is nice! it cannot handke magnet links though, and doesn't do DHT peering iirc.
There were many torrents I couldn't download because of that.

For anyone interested, I started writing a torrent lib (2 actually, one project died):
* libgbt (cc -lgbt ;), now dead project)
* libeech (cc -leech)

none of them is finished, but I might get there someday!
grah
(27-02-2019, 11:45 AM)z3bra Wrote: btpd is nice! it cannot handke magnet links though, and doesn't do DHT peering iirc.
There were many torrents I couldn't download because of that.

Yeah it's a shame it doesn't have those features, I'm surprised more people didn't build onto it because it's a solid core.

(27-02-2019, 11:45 AM)z3bra Wrote: For anyone interested, I started writing a torrent lib (2 actually, one project died):
* libgbt (cc -lgbt ;), now dead project)
* libeech (cc -leech)

none of them is finished, but I might get there someday!

Wow that's impressive! It may not be finished but you sure have put a lot of time and effort into it.
z3bra
eduarch42
(26-07-2017, 02:43 PM)darthlukan Wrote: I've been reading through Window Manager docs and trying to write one myself for a while. Every time I get some headway, I scrap it and start over, never satisfied with my garbage C skills. I want to write it in C because I'm weak in that language (I could have probably already finished it in Python or even Go, but then I wouldn't be learning what I want to learn or building what I want to build). It's so bad, that I haven't even put it up in a Git repo because the history would just be a ton of scrapping commits and deletions.
Making a WM in go is pretty darn easy. I’m actually in the process of making one. I highly recommend you to look into the excellent xgb by BurntSushi, and also the Wingo WM as a learning resource.
eduarch42
My moment has arrived, hahaha. I have a text file full of cool ideas and projects to develop in a future sitting in my home dir. Here are some of them:
-Meta-tilling Window Manager
-RTOS with a gaming or aeronautic focus
-CLI o TUI Music DAW
-Physics simulator

Reply if you would like me to explain more in detail any of them.
wolf
I wouldn't call it a "dream" project, but a study roadmap.

I probably have mentioned to some of you that I'm trying to write a wiki system with C. The content ( markdown, images, et cetera ) could be published by some control version system or API ( or both ). A simple but effective ACL on viewing would be nice plus some search system. I also would love to avoid any RDBMS.
I was trying to use inotify(7) to provide automatic build of new documents, but probably I'll get some headaches with recursive directory monitoring and software portability ( especially when using with UNIX ).

I guess it can be done with a toolchain linke BHCS+Manticore, maybe. But my goal is mainly to learn some coding.
Doom
I don't have a "dream roadmap" but am trying to decide on a studying roadmap, as wolf posted:

I'm interested in writing command-line utilities and interfaces, I'm stuck between doing it all in C or Go.

I've picked up C over the last few months. It has helped me improve the way I think about projects. But, there is a lot of things I've come to find inconvenient, particularly with memory management and working with strings.

I switched to Go and thought it was easier. I was productive and finished the utility scripts I'd planned to do in C in an afternoon. Doing it C, however, would've taken me longer.

However, I'm still drawn to C. I use a lot of JavaScript in my day job, and I see the similarities, even writing my JavaScript in C-like fashion. I like how close C is to the metal and how small the executables are in the final product.

tl;dr: I'm stuck between C and Go and would appreciate some guidance.
venam
(13-05-2019, 01:21 PM)Doom Wrote: tl;dr: I'm stuck between C and Go and would appreciate some guidance.

In my opinion, choosing between languages before diving into a project usually comes from the experience you got with them before. What you got stuck on, what worked fined, what were the strong points, etc..

If you don't have a clue and haven't done any of those before then try both.
Doom
(14-05-2019, 12:30 AM)venam Wrote:
(13-05-2019, 01:21 PM)Doom Wrote: tl;dr: I'm stuck between C and Go and would appreciate some guidance.

In my opinion, choosing between languages before diving into a project usually comes from the experience you got with them before. What you got stuck on, what worked fined, what were the strong points, etc..

If you don't have a clue and haven't done any of those before then try both.

Thanks, venam.

I've actually worked on two projects in both languages. Using Go, I finished the projects relatively quickly, with the ability to write tests on the fly.

Using C, the projects took longer but, for some reason, I felt a bigger sense of accomplishment. Maybe because I had to worry about more details and fixing bugs required more thinking.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode