Your dream project - Programming On Unix
evbo
(14-05-2019, 01:56 PM)Doom Wrote: Using Go, I finished the projects relatively quickly, with the ability to write tests on the fly. ... Using C, the projects took longer but, for some reason, I felt a bigger sense of accomplishment. Maybe because I had to worry about more details and fixing bugs required more thinking.

Ah, the age old question of development speed vs program speed :)

With experience you should be able to determine what language and libraries you'll need before you start. Many times a modern managed language with a good standard library is the right choice for your project. I'm partial to Go and C# but that's just me.

I guess the reverse question you can ask yourself is whether Go's disadvantages (runtime, garbage collection, etc) are going to hinder your project in a way that C wouldn't.
Doom
(15-05-2019, 01:55 PM)evbo Wrote: I guess the reverse question you can ask yourself is whether Go's disadvantages (runtime, garbage collection, etc) are going to hinder your project in a way that C wouldn't.

Interesting. The only thing that is hindering when working with Go is the requirement to not waste a variable. While that's great, it becomes a pain when the project grows. I don't have that problem in C.

In terms of libraries and such, Go blows C away, with its ease of installing and importing modules when I need them.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode