OpenBSD on personal laptop? - BSD
jkl
OpenBSD is surely more reliable than FreeBSD when it comes to system upgrades. I just noticed that again.
venam
(02-01-2018, 03:53 AM)jkl Wrote: OpenBSD is surely more reliable than FreeBSD when it comes to system upgrades. I just noticed that again.
Did you just have a bad FreeBSD upgrade or an unusually smooth OpenBSD upgrade?
jkl
All of my FreeBSD upgrades (except one) were slow and painful. (I usually use ports, I haven't had to upgrade my pkg-only test server just yet.)

All of my OpenBSD upgrades (except one) were smooth and silky.

I think there is a pattern here: OpenBSD tries to get out of your way, FreeBSD expects you to hold its hand.
qbit
OpenBSD daily driver here :D! Likely any Lenovo will work - they are solid machines, most of the devs run them.. etc

Few things to note:

- For gaming, your options are going to be limited by game availability more than your graphics card (most likely).
- For app availability, you have two ways of dealing with missing apps:
- Wait for it to get ported (passive).
- Port it yourself (active).
The OpenBSD ports framework is fantastic for bringing in new applications, it supports _most_ build tools (GNU make, cmake, go... etc). Don't be afraid to poke it while trying to get your fav apps to work! (see ports(7), bsd.port.mk(5), port-modules(5) and packages(7) if interested!) More often that not, you will just end up writing a simple Makefile and things will just work!
wolf
( I know that it's an old thread, but I'll leave some tips for anyone who still looking for answers in a near future )

Running OpenBSD ( current ) here on my Thinkpad x220.

Well, BSDs at all are less hardware flexible than GNU/Linux... So the first thing to do is to double check if your machine is well supported by your BSD-weapon-of-choice. FreeBSD and NetBSD have a good hardware compatibility matrix ( FreeBSD more than NetBSD ). Under this subject OpenBSD had great improvements during last years.

About Linux compatibility, the OpenBSD is the only one that doesn't have any kind of emulation ( since 6.0 ).

About speed, well... FreeBSD and NetBSD seemed kinda fast to me. OpenBSD, on the other hand tends to be less performance focused.

I had no previous experience with DragonflyBSD.
jkl
(26-03-2019, 11:27 PM)wolf Wrote: Well, BSDs at all are less hardware flexible than GNU/Linux...

This is too general to be true. Some kind of BSD runs on an iPhone. No Linux does.
wolf
(27-03-2019, 06:43 AM)jkl Wrote: This is too general to be true. Some kind of BSD runs on an iPhone. No Linux does.

What I'm trying to say is that the {Open,Net,Free,Dragonfly,Darwin}BSD does not have the same breadth of functionality on any hardware as Linux does. And don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean that BSDs has worst code ( most of times is just the opposite ).
About the iPhone, it won't be a surprise if someone, somewhere, could jailbreak it and boot some kind of Android/Linux.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode