OpenBSD on personal laptop? - BSD
OpenBSD is surely more reliable than FreeBSD when it comes to system upgrades. I just noticed that again.
(02-01-2018, 03:53 AM)jkl Wrote: OpenBSD is surely more reliable than FreeBSD when it comes to system upgrades. I just noticed that again.
Did you just have a bad FreeBSD upgrade or an unusually smooth OpenBSD upgrade?
All of my FreeBSD upgrades (except one) were slow and painful. (I usually use ports, I haven't had to upgrade my pkg-only test server just yet.)

All of my OpenBSD upgrades (except one) were smooth and silky.

I think there is a pattern here: OpenBSD tries to get out of your way, FreeBSD expects you to hold its hand.
OpenBSD daily driver here :D! Likely any Lenovo will work - they are solid machines, most of the devs run them.. etc

Few things to note:

- For gaming, your options are going to be limited by game availability more than your graphics card (most likely).
- For app availability, you have two ways of dealing with missing apps:
- Wait for it to get ported (passive).
- Port it yourself (active).
The OpenBSD ports framework is fantastic for bringing in new applications, it supports _most_ build tools (GNU make, cmake, go... etc). Don't be afraid to poke it while trying to get your fav apps to work! (see ports(7), bsd.port.mk(5), port-modules(5) and packages(7) if interested!) More often that not, you will just end up writing a simple Makefile and things will just work!

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help