Gentoo overlay aimed for ricing enthusiasts - GNU/Linux
azahi
Good day, nixers.

I started actively using Gentoo as my main operating system a little bit more than a year ago. After sitting on Arch Linux for almost 4 years, I found my Zen here.
I really like Gentoo and suggest everyone to try it. What it sometimes may lack is somewhat obscure packages that are needed, but not only limited, to ricing, I suppose many of you are quite familiar with the meaning of this word.

So, I've been working on this little project: a Gentoo overlay that is going to please every ricing enthusiast that uses this magical GNU/Linux distribution or any of its derivatives.

Everything is hosted here via GitHub.

For people that are not yet experienced with how Gentoo works here's a quick FAQ:

* How Gentoo manages packages? *
As you may know, Gentoo encourages compiling packages instead of pulling and installing binaries that someone compiled for you. To make this happen Gentoo uses a nifty software called Portage to install (in the sense of a source-based approach, "to merge" or "to port") packages and manage/update existing ones. This piece of software uses ebuilds, text files which have an instruction in them on how to install a specific package, which compiler to use, how to patch it and etc.

* What is an overlay? *
Overlay is a some sort of a user repository that overlays itself on top of a main package tree, can change priority for packages, update or even add new ones.
More info about it and how to use it can be found here.

* How to write ebuilds? *
In its core ebuild is a shell script.
Difficulty of a ebuild varies vastly. If you need to simply copy a Python script to, for example, /usr/local/bin, your ebuild file is not going to be longer than 2 to 3 lines of actual code. If you are writing an ebuild for a big package like Firefox which relies on consecutive patching, mangling of compile options, some external EDSL or even a little elisp file, the resulting file might be quite long.
To write efficient ebuild you will might want to use various eclasses -- some sort of a libraries which help with building different types of packages and ease the process significantly, for example, haskell-cabal.eclass adds support for building Haskell packages with utility called Cabal.

So, If you are a Gentoo enthusiast with a desire to customize, or if you are just trying to get into using Gentoo but afraid that you will be missing out on packages that are present in, for example, AUR -- this repository is for you!

# How can you help #
+ Writing ebuilds
+ Testing ebuilds
+ Suggesting cool packages to add. Here's the TODO file
+ Spreading the word about this project

Contributions, suggestions and constructive remarks are always welcomed!

Thank you for your attention.
venam
(21-04-2018, 11:51 AM)azahi Wrote: Overlay is a some sort of a user repository that overlays itself on top of a main package tree, can change priority for packages, update or even add new ones.
This is an interesting idea, having a repo over the repo.

This is a kind of thread hijacking but I've been meaning to research on this topic more in the past few weeks but haven't really started much. I was hoping for it to be a more open community discussion abou "The role of distributions &/or Unix flavors, where does pkg management stands" but it didn't take off for now.

You should also think about maybe moving your repo of customized packages to https://git.nixers.net/ (once it comes back up, z3bra help).
budRich
Cool stuff, i have always hesitated going full gentoo because of my rice addiction, now you give me no excuse! Just gotta shake sublime off my back, or can I install and use sublime on gentoo?
jkl
(22-04-2018, 04:27 AM)venam Wrote: This is an interesting idea, having a repo over the repo.

Wouldn't that roughly equal "third-party repositories" (Slackbuilds, AUR, openSUSE's Packman, ...)? If I understand what overlays do correctly, it is not that special.
venam
(22-04-2018, 10:29 AM)jkl Wrote: Wouldn't that roughly equal "third-party repositories" (Slackbuilds, AUR, openSUSE's Packman, ...)? If I understand what overlays do correctly, it is not that special.
If I understood properly it's a bit more than third party repositories, it's overwriting the main repo packages. Though, yes, not very different than other kinds.
hades
@budRich:

> Just gotta shake sublime off my back, or can I install and use sublime on gentoo?

Actually, you can. There's a package out there for i: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app...blime-text

That being said, if you wanna take advantage of Gentoo's ability to compile packages, you'll need to switch to a FOSS editor. Lime is a FOSS alternative to Sublime, although I haven't played with it much (and have never used Sublime) and thus can't give a thorough review of it or tell you whether or not it does everything Sublime does.
budRich
thanks for the info hades. I've been wanting to shake sublime off for some time, but it is mostly out of philosophical reasons. I have no issues with the editor itself and have been using it for many years now. But knowing that i can use sublime if i want to on gentoo, i will prepare the migration!
greduan
No full support yet: https://github.com/limetext/lime/wiki/Goals

Looking at some repos it also looks like it stagnated in 2017, latest repos of the org having their last update on 2018-01-01.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help