Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
sanlyx
Members
Hey there! I came across this forum a while ago but never actually posted as I was busy studying. Anyway, I'm on summer vacation now and I felt like checking out if this forum is alive (:

I'm your typical, mediocre student which can barely socialize. I'm trapped in some tiny town in Europe surrounded by people with like zero interest or idea on the technology they use everyday, which I find ridiculous and frustrating, for they do not give a damn about their rights (i.e. privacy) being violated in a daily-basis. I recently turned 18 and I'm starting my first year on Computer Science (or whatever the equivalent on your country is) later this year.

My interests are actually quite variate! I got started on programming when I was 10 with VB.NET on Windows and things escalated quickly from that point. Now I'm here, bootstrapping my Linux setup and automating Gentoo installation on a huge, hacky script file.

I'm looking forward to become versed in the field of information security, although I currently have zero to no idea where to start. The thing with me is that I try a little about everything but never really master anything, I've tried Windows desktop development, web development, systems programming (which I'm quite bad at, ironically), low-level stuff as in simple 16-bit programs for real mode BIOS, and more recently some fiddling with EFI development and of course some failed attempts on writing simple protected-mode kernels.

So the thing is, I never really dared to participate in online communities or forums (specially English-speaking forums) because everyone always seems to know a lot of stuff and I find it intimidating to "fall behind" or something, so here goes nothing.

So this is me, and I apologize in advance for my broken english lol
mrtn
Members
(28-06-2018, 08:08 AM)sanlyx Wrote: Now I'm here, bootstrapping my Linux setup and automating Gentoo installation on a huge, hacky script file.

I'd love to hear more about this

(28-06-2018, 08:08 AM)sanlyx Wrote: I'm looking forward to become versed in the field of information security, although I currently have zero to no idea where to start.
It's quite a huge field anyway. I think the trick is just doing something. Get yourself an account at hackthebox.eu (or something similar) or download some boxes from vulnhub - and see what you can find out about them. The machines are like good books - they usually have a theme, a story and a technique they want to teach you.

So: welcome to the forums!
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers!

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
Tmplt
Long time nixers
Well met and welcome!
venam
Administrators
(28-06-2018, 08:08 AM)sanlyx Wrote: I'm trapped in some tiny town in Europe surrounded by people with like zero interest or idea on the technology they use everyday, which I find ridiculous and frustrating, for they do not give a damn about their rights (i.e. privacy) being violated in a daily-basis.
You'll get over it.

Also, welcome to nixers!
sanlyx
Members
Thanks everyone!

mrtn Wrote:I'd love to hear more about this
Not really interesting tho, just followed the handbook and some other sources and tested my installation on VirtualBox while setting up a huge Bash script that automates it all so that I can just boot the installer media, download my script and have a coffee.

mrtn Wrote:Get yourself an account at hackthebox.eu (or something similar)
I did try hackthebox, microcorruption, root-me.org... but only got to a certain extent. After failing miserably I decided I needed to learn a whole lot more about computer and systems architecture before I could actually nail them, and that's what I am doing right now in a certainly chaotic way, but I think I'll eventually get there.
mrtn
Members
(29-06-2018, 02:13 AM)sanlyx Wrote: I did try hackthebox, microcorruption, root-me.org... but only got to a certain extent. After failing miserably I decided I needed to learn a whole lot more about computer and systems architecture before I could actually nail them, and that's what I am doing right now in a certainly chaotic way, but I think I'll eventually get there.

Yeah, you will. All I'm managing on my own are easy to medium boxes, but I learned a lot. I found one book to be kinda helpful - even though it's outdated technology wise - and that is georgia weidmans 'penetration testing - a hands on introduction to hacking'.
Have fun learning - hack the planet!
jkl
Long time nixers
(29-06-2018, 03:32 AM)mrtn Wrote: hack the planet!

Please don't!

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Hey hey! welcome aboard.
fraun
Members
Hey, what part of Europe are you from? Do you have any sources for advice on making a bootstrap script?
rocx
Members
(28-06-2018, 08:08 AM)sanlyx Wrote: ...which I find ridiculous and frustrating, for they do not give a damn about their rights (i.e. privacy) being violated in a daily-basis.

[Image: infrastructures.png]

You'll get used to it. Best thing to do in this case is to do what you can to protect yourself.

Either way, welcome aboard the wagon.
sanlyx
Members
fraun Wrote:Hey, what part of Europe are you from
Lil' town in Spain!
As for the bootstrap script... not many, I was just playing around Gentoo to have a better perspective on how modern GNU/Linux systems are comprised of