Linux CoC - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Steph
Long time nixers
I see a lot of people freaking out about the recent changes to the linux Code of Conduct.

What's the big deal about?
What's wrong with promoting a more open atmosphere for an open project?
venam
Administrators
For information this is the changes that was made: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ker...c54469c11f

This sort of remind me of RMS doesn't want his comment removed from the glibc manual: https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual...ogram.html

In both cases these are the persons' personal projects with their small touches that slowly are turning into corporate projects and being cleaned of any personal touch.

As far as the code of conduct is concerned there wasn't any before, what was placed there was an inside joke, the "code-of-conflict" which basically said "work well on your code, be sure of yourself because critics of it are incoming, and critics are needed to keep this thing alive".

The new one is a normal work-place "things that shouldn't even have to be mentioned" kind of list of things you shouldn't do. This is a big project after all and it should act like a big company.
I don't think this has anything to do with "open atmosphere" or all the "SJW" side-talk on the internet, or that politics has anything to do with this. While the RMS comment does have because he is so into it. It seems to be the trend these days to want to tag any single change as a political move.
I'd tag this one as a corporate move/code-cleaning more than anything else. You wouldn't do that at your office, don't do that here. Like most people at work you don't usually spend your time reading code of conducts but get back to your task, keep it technical and professional.
jkl
Long time nixers
I can only recommend you to research the background of the author of said CoC, read this blog entry by esr, be really afraid and run as far as you can from the to-be-toxic Linux community.

Feminism has never brought technical advantages.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Quote: I can only recommend you to research the background of the author of said CoC, read this blog entry by esr, be really afraid and run as far as you can from the to-be-toxic Linux community.

Feminism has never brought technical advantages.

I tend to try to stay out of culture war stuff these days, but I just wanted to point out that esr, apart from his obvious contributions to OSS, is heavily involved in them and probably not a good neutral source.

I broadly agree with @venam though, the new CoC states things that should have been obvious from the start anyway. I would argue that it could have been formulated in a much shorter and concise way:

Code:
Don't discuss anything except technical matters, and discuss them kindly.