[resolved] openbsd + lemonbar + unicode + icon fonts: wtf am i doing wrong? - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
sth
Long time nixers
Hey yall,

i'm trying to whip up a little lemonbar for a new openbsd install and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get siji icons to display. it simply displays, for example, \ue016 instead of the associated clock icon. this works fine under void linux, and i am sure it's something dumb, but I haven't been able to figure it out and i don't honestly know enough about the components to know where the problem actually is. i AM using echo -e.

is it possible to use a secondary icon font with openbsd's lemonbar package? i wouldn't have assumed Xft support was required since i'm not using xft font strings, but honestly, i have no idea.

tia!!

EDIT: resolution is to use a shell with a builtin echo that supports -e. printf may also be an option but i haven't bothered to explore it
-------
nvsbl.org
venam
Administrators
It would help us greatly if you could share as much as you could. The font file you are using, the exact script you have, the compile flags and makefile you used to compile lemonbar, etc..

Also if lemonbar is not xft patched it will only support core X fonts (bitmaps with XLFD).
sth
Long time nixers
i installed siji from github and i'm using the openbsd lemonbar package (not compiled).
siji provides bitmap fonts - i dont think it's xft at all actually so that might be barking up the wrong tree.

here's the script so far. everything works perfectly except for the icons. i even tried bypassing the clockicon variable and putting it in the function to no avail.
--------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

clockicon="%{T2}\ue016"
titleicon="%{T2}\ue13a"
batteryicon="%{T2}\ue237"

clock() {
TIME=$(date +%H:%M)
echo -e "%{T2}\ue016 %{T1}$TIME"
}

title() {
WINDOW=$(xdotool getwindowfocus getwindowname)
echo -e "$titleicon %{T1}$WINDOW"
}

battery() {
BAT=$(apm -l)
echo -e "$batteryicon %{T1}$BAT"
}

while true; do
echo " $(title) %{r} $(battery) $(clock) "
sleep .5
done | lemonbar -d -g 1366x14 -B "#f3f3f3" -F "#707070" -U "#ffffff" -f "-*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" -f "-wuncon-siji-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-c-80-iso10646-1"
-------
nvsbl.org
sth
Long time nixers
looks like i'm trying to use flags not available in obsd echo.
need to look into whether i can do this with printf. someone on reddit mentioned that zsh has a built in echo that supports -e but i have no interest in zsh...

edit actually just got this working using bash, since it has a builtin echo with -e.
-------
nvsbl.org