twee
(27-11-2018, 02:23 PM)z3bra Wrote: OpenBSD has mg
I used mg when configuring openbsd. the problem with mg is it emulates the emacs keys, but not much else (aka no lisp). really hinders how similar it can be.

i have tried vi before, i might try it again because it's more of a necessary skill (I think) than emacs, and because it goes with my xresources better ;)
jkl
(27-11-2018, 02:40 PM)twee Wrote: it's more of a necessary skill (I think) than emacs

No, why?
twee
(28-11-2018, 06:47 AM)jkl Wrote:
(27-11-2018, 02:40 PM)twee Wrote: it's more of a necessary skill (I think) than emacs

No, why?
it's everywhere, more everywhere than emacs. I definitely want to at least learn how to efficiently make use of it, even if I keep using emacs.
jkl
It's not everywhere. You either don't even have a vi command (e.g. on Gentoo) or end up with Vim or nvi symlinked as "vi", both of which are very different applications. I recently came across a Linux that didn't even have ed, I think it was CentOS.

Better don't assume anything to be available anywhere at all.
twee
fair enough. guess the best approach is echo and pipe ;)
z3bra
jkl Wrote:It's not everywhere. You either don't even have a vi command (e.g. on Gentoo) or end up with Vim or nvi symlinked as "vi", both of which are very different applications.

I'd be surprised if the Gentoo install media didn't include vi! Though the handbook indeed mention nano as the editor.
Anyway, busibox vi, nvi and vim are different from Bill Joy's original vi, but they are still compatible with it, so they still qualify as valid replacements to me!

jkl Wrote:I recently came across a Linux that didn't even have ed, I think it was CentOS.

Yeah that is insane right? I discovered that after fucking up with termios so I couldn't use ncurse properly... That pissed me off!
I think ubuntu ditched it as well.

jkl Wrote:Better don't assume anything to be available anywhere at all.

Fair enough! Still, I think you will be more likely to find vi than emacs on most setups!
jkl
Gentoo's "vi" is busybox vi indeed.
twee
pretty sure arch doesnt come with ed either, because it "If Arch included all the crap that every user considers part of a "standard" *nix system, it wouldn't be Arch" according to one forum post.

i definitely think its pretty fair to assume youll find atleast ed or vi on most unix systems.
jkl
And that's just another reason why people should finally stop calling Linux "*nix". It's a totally different world.
Dworin
I have arch and indeed ed is not in the initial install. Of course it can be installed afterwards.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help