Really Weird Shell - the structural regular expression shell - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
tudurom
Long time nixers
z3bra Wrote:Why did you choose to implement it as a shell rather than an interpreter like awk, or sed?

As far as I know, there is no awk or sed using structural regular expressions, like sam does. My first intention was to build one. Then, I realised that it should be a full blown shell, because a shell's job is mainly to process output from different programs, which is usually text in the unix world. I feel that a shell without powerful text processing, or a text processor without powerful shell functionality, is incomplete. Both sh and awk are scripting languages, with variables, control structures, and both operate around string values. Why separate them?

Thus, I created (or I am in the process of creating) a complete shell. You can use it as a shell, you can use it as a text filter, you can use it for both. Text and processes are first class citizens.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Really Weird Shell - the structural regular expression shell - by tudurom - 12-05-2019, 05:09 AM