Using Directories as Configuration Fomats - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pkal
Long time nixers
(12-09-2019, 07:28 PM)z3bra Wrote: I like the idea! and you're certainly not the first one to think about it. The best example I can find is the linux kernel itself that can be tweaked dynamically from userland using a filesystem.

Yeah, that was one thing that I was thinking about when writing about this, which is why I say

Quote:Hence the main difference here is that we are not working with virtual file systems, but just regular/any file system.

(12-09-2019, 07:28 PM)z3bra Wrote: There is also the WMII window manager that work this way iirc.

iirc, wmii is a remake of rio, right? So it's also the same idea of projecting the internal state of the program onto the file system.

(12-09-2019, 07:28 PM)z3bra Wrote: Sharing snippets online is also much easier than tarballs of your conf.

I agree, although I think that sharing tarballs would be the wrong approach. One could have a program that serializes a configuration in a human readable format, to share with others. Would be limited by binary data though.

(12-09-2019, 07:28 PM)z3bra Wrote: The one main advantage I see though (and a huge one!) us dynamic reload on specific settings by monitoring the filesystem, which you can't easily do with a single conf file.
I haven't thought of this, good point. I will add it to the text.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using Directories as Configuration Fomats - by pkal - 13-09-2019, 05:38 AM