Programming book recommendations. - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
ckester
Nixers
Thanks for the recommendation!

After a quick look at the table of contents, I think the title of that book is well-chosen. It does indeed appear to go beyond what I think of as software architecture, namely the arrangement of a program's parts (e.g. its modules and functions, and who calls or provides what to whom), analogous to the layout of the rooms and other elements of a building and how one moves through it. By architecture I mean the meta-layer above the implementation of an algorithm, so that it includes the design of all the things that have to be done to fetch and prepare the data to be processed by the algorithm and then present the results to the user. It's the layer where the Gang of Four's software patterns are found, for example, although even they don't provide the whole blueprint for a design at this level.

(That old book by Plauger I mentioned above is discussing this level when he talks about picking up one of the bubbles of a DFD and giving the whole thing a shake: it's about deciding which of those bubbles will be your program's main(), so that the DFD becomes like a calltree. You can choose any of the bubbles in the diagram and make it work, but which one you choose has profound effects on the resulting architecture.)

Hohmann's book, on the other hand, seems to be about yet another meta-level above that. It discusses project management, marketing, business goals, licensing, and many other things not found in the program code. Those are all important things of course, especially if you're creating enterprise software where the success of your business is at stake. But they're not really what I'm concerned with as a programmer working alone on what are essentially hobby projects for my own use.

l will, however, take a closer look at the preview of it on Amazon in case I've got the wrong first impression of the book.

Messages In This Thread
Programming book recommendations. - by seninha - 24-03-2020, 08:31 AM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by venam - 25-03-2020, 02:04 PM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by z3bra - 08-05-2020, 03:25 AM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by twee - 08-05-2020, 07:34 PM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by sth - 08-05-2020, 09:50 PM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by z3bra - 09-05-2020, 09:26 AM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by wolf - 13-05-2020, 01:59 AM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by venam - 09-09-2020, 02:07 AM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by ckester - 09-09-2020, 04:01 AM
RE: Programming book recommendations. - by venam - 09-09-2020, 04:38 AM