Carte blanche - Off topic
venam
Hello fellow nixers,
Here's an interesting question:

If you had an empty check where you could write any amount, to which software project would you send it to.

I personally would send it to the Linux kernel team in charge of peripherals, especially Bluetooth related.
As a fallback option maybe I'd send it to the Wayland team.

So what do you think nixers, where would you send your unlimited money check to?
neeasade
I think this could be a bit of a loaded question, because maybe the lower you go or depending on what you target the implications are super big (eg IDK, fund clasp, or some alternative C compiler or OS dev work -- the idea being that given enough time and interest if money is no object then eventually they would find technical success in some respect).

but! I would probably just give a bunch of money to the qutebrowser dev, The-Compiler. Mostly I'm a fan of the verbose communication style he runs the project with -- I feel like the path from issue to current status or where to start on dev is fairly clear, even on things that are years old at this point.

Maybe the same could be said of the doom-emacs author, hlissner. I'm not a doom emacs user but the doom base seems nice and I'll snipe stuff from time to time. The few times I've reached out it's resulted in near instant changes to the doom emacs core.

Maybe some money to the wlroots devs.

Maybe FSF if I felt it would come back to emacs in some way.

hm... I guess maybe most projects I'd write a blank check to have a bus factor of ~1, and is stuff I use or have an interest in using in the future.
z3bra
I would send it to apple, microsoft, nvidia, ibm, and all those making money out of closed source software with this note:

Quote:Now you have the money. Release the source.
jkl
I'd split it.

1) NetBSD. Although I don't use it, I know that they desperately need money and they have quite a few neat ideas in their code.
2) illumos. I know that they desperately need developers, and developers love money.
3) Jörg Schilling. To piss off Debian. (Actually, no: To encourage him to not stop developing the awesome schily tools before he ceases to exit.)

All other projects which would be worth any amount to me - including (but not limited to) plan9port and several others - don't need my funding in the foreseeable future.
sth
(08-06-2020, 06:40 PM)z3bra Wrote: I would send it to apple, microsoft, nvidia, ibm, and all those making money out of closed source software with this note:

Quote:Now you have the money. Release the source.

hahaha paying the ransom before they even write a note?
zge
Sending it to hardware manufacturers to get out of their bondage with Microsoft could be a good idea. More free software drivers and less spyware would make purchasing new hardware easer (and hopefully cheaper).

(08-06-2020, 05:30 PM)neeasade Wrote: Maybe FSF if I felt it would come back to emacs in some way.

I was thinking about the same thing.
jkl
When it comes to Emacs development, the FSF is a problem, not the solution. There are reasons why many people have stopped trying to contribute to GNU Emacs. The copyright assignment sucks.
sokx
- Dylan Araps
- 2f30
- 9front
- Suckless
- Sourcehut

These people make cool stuff and I'm sure none of them are millionares so...
sokx
Oh I totally forgot, Newpipe is a lifesaver and I would definitely give them some of the money.
evbo
OpenBSD. I would love to have a true Unix led by the right people that can do all the things Linux can

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode