Hobbies - Off topic
fre d die
Members
Hi, i thought it might be intresting to start a post about the hobbies that people have outside *nix, and more importantly how *nix may become entwined with those hobbies. For me at the moment i have really been into music production, mostly just messing around, but recently moving back to a linux OS has opened up a lot of new ways to approach it, seeing videos of beats people make in C and pipe into aplay and such.

What hobbies do you guys have and how do they tie in with nix?
sokx
Members
(22-07-2020, 11:19 AM)fre d die Wrote: videos of beats people make in C and pipe into aplay
Sounds cool, can you link one of those videos?

I've been hiking a lot this summer, but that can't really be tied in with *nix since I don't keep track of my walks..
fre d die
Members
(22-07-2020, 01:23 PM)sokx Wrote: Sounds cool, can you link one of those videos?

Sure! This is the first video i found, and he links a blogpost in the description that goes into a lot more detail about how it works and explains how the different bitwise operators create different patterns and so on.

What sort of places have you been hiking? Also how do you pack for a hike, i often see the too extremes in peoples back packs of "bloat" or ultra lightweight cutting the toothbrush in half stuff
xenone
Members
I've been into music production for a long time too but haven't done much recently because I used Ableton and haven't found a way of using in on Linux. Bitwig looks interesting but I have so many projects in Ableton it seems like a pain to recreate them all.
fre d die
Members
i was using ableton lite for a bit, but started to look at tracker software like renoise a bit more and it seems to suit me better in some ways. i've also experiment a little bit with puredate(pd) which is essentially a visual music programming language similar to MAX/MSP that Autechre use
sokx
Members
(22-07-2020, 01:47 PM)fre d die Wrote: What sort of places have you been hiking? Also how do you pack for a hike, i often see the too extremes in peoples back packs of "bloat" or ultra lightweight cutting the toothbrush in half stuff
I usually just explore the forrests near my home and try to find cool places. My hikes only last a couple of hours, so I just take some water, my phone and maybe a knife and some bread if I'm going on a longer trip.
venam
Administrators
Interesting off-topic thread.

My most Unix-related hobby is that I'm creating ASCII art. You can find my pieces here and here. I'm mainly using vim to do them sometimes coloring with Pablodraw. We had a thread about it a long time ago when I was just starting out.

I paint, hike, read a lot, garden (some pics from last month), work on a side psychology project, watch movies from around the globe (broadening from the USA movies echo chamber), play CTF and wargames (currently training for a national competition next month), and more.

The most interesting project I'm currently working on is a mapping of mushroom specimens in my country, Lebanon. I love mushroom scavenging but it isn't well known here, so I've found two research papers and I'm basing my mapping on this.

Here's the current result:
[Image: YfC0dTi.jpg]
and more here.

There's not much Unix in all this other than syncing with Dropbox, using zathura as a PDF reader, and taking notes in vim.
fre d die
Members
(22-07-2020, 06:10 PM)venam Wrote: The most interesting project I'm currently working on is a mapping of mushroom specimens in my country, Lebanon. I love mushroom scavenging but it isn't well known here, so I've found two research papers and I'm basing my mapping on this.
Wow! that seems like a really intresting project! I recently bought a book fom the 1950s (A Survey Of British Natural History : Mushrooms & Toadstools) talking about the range of mushrooms in my country (uk) and did some (magic)mushroom picking in Kilpatrik hills. a lot of mushrooms have been poping up in my local parks at the moment, saw one lady in the middle of town picking some that had grown in a semi circle around a tree.

I've started reading a lot more again recently, currently nearing the end of Tropic Of Cancer by Henry Miller
Ramiferous
Members
I like this thread. *nix is cool but presumably we all have lives outside of it. I don't really have any hobbies that tie in with *nix but I have other hobbies...

I enjoy riding. Living in Melbourne AUS is great because the city is very accommodating of cyclists and its a fairly flat city. Single speed and fixed gear bikes are pretty popular here. These are my two steeds.
[Image: IMG-20191118-083519.jpg]

I also used to be well into cars.. (back when I had disposable income living with the folks). Even though I'm a family man now and have more important financial priorities, I still manage to make my car stand out :P
[Image: IMG-20190925-171818.jpg]

venam, you ever find any of those fun mushies? ;)
venam
Administrators
(22-07-2020, 10:02 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: venam, you ever find any of those fun mushies? ;)

Unfortunately, unlike fre d die, the "fun mushies" don't grow around here, but there are a some really tasty ones instead.