window manager development thread - Desktop Customization & Workflow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
(30-08-2020, 09:10 PM)phillbush Wrote: I think that sharing our experience is something good because it can inspire others who aspires writing their own wm.
I am of the same opinion.

(30-08-2020, 09:10 PM)phillbush Wrote: What is your experience with wm writing?
Writing a WM gives some insight into how a desktop is pieced together. There's a lot of things that you learn the hard way when writing a WM, especially when you thought you've done everything fine but suddenly certain features don't work as expected. This is especially true for pop-ups, panels and bars, for multi-window-hierarchy but that should be considered a single window, for workspaces handling, for multiple screen handling, and more.

(30-08-2020, 09:10 PM)phillbush Wrote: What knowledge or ideas you had for your wm that you want to share to other wm writers?
In my opinion, when we are the writer, we often over-estimate the usage of some features or envision things in a way but they end up not being used that way. The most important part is how the user, starting with you, interacts with the WM and if it's seemless. You could record yourself performing some action in multiple ways and see which one is more intuitive and fast. Or you could record which features you use the most over a week period.

Messages In This Thread
window manager development thread - by seninha - 30-08-2020, 09:10 PM
RE: window manager development thread - by venam - 31-08-2020, 03:36 AM
RE: window manager development thread - by movq - 22-02-2021, 08:37 AM
RE: window manager development thread - by z3bra - 13-09-2021, 08:58 AM