xnotify: popup a notification on your screen - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
(27-10-2020, 08:18 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: Cool. And yeah, I'm not sure what u/ndgnah was on about but they seemingly aren't interested in your reasons :P

For what it's worth, there is currently an active thread over on the UnitedBSD forums where some NetBSD devs are taking requests for programs to package for NetBSD. So far they've been very responsive.
I've requested that xnotify be packaged (primarily in pkgsrc/wip) for testing. One user suggested I look into xmessage instead, stating it is "more minimal" however I think notify is a good balance between nice features and minimalism.

Do you have any thoughts on this? do you foresee xnotify being maintained long-term?

Yeah, I want to maintain xnotify in the long-term.
It is has been a fun project in which I applied some techniques I learned and it's been so easy to maintain.

As for xmessage, I don't see why one would use it for notifications: it does not stack one instance above the other like most notification systems do. But yeah, you can use it, but you will lost notification stacking, xft fonts, image support, notification grouping/tagging, etc. Imagine using xmessage to notify that your laptop battery is low...

I would use xmessage for dialogs or wizards, like how the good old wmii window manager did.

And xnotify is packaged in pkgsrc/wip,
but it's the old version that does not include the features I added that I mentioned in the other post.

Messages In This Thread
RE: xnotify: popup a notification on your screen - by seninha - 27-10-2020, 09:19 PM