xnotify: popup a notification on your screen - Programming On Unix

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
seninha
Long time nixers
(01-11-2020, 08:23 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: Pin, he is very dedicated to bringing NetBSD to the desktop and thus is helping to import and maintain packages that are requested (many by me) or seen as helpful to the user experience. I'll pass on your regards to him. :)

It was less than 4 months ago that NetBSD had no Spotify client at all and now, thanks to Pin, we have ncspot and Spotify-qt. He doesn't even use Spotify! haha
Oh, thanks to passing my regards!
I noticed that he also doesn't use notifications at all, but is still maintaining my notification system, which is very nice of him.

(01-11-2020, 08:23 PM)Ramiferous Wrote: I'll also say that, while I never insisted on anyone else fixing a package that doesn't build on NetBSD, as soon as you tell the NetBSD devs that a package doesn't build correctly (and that it's not the users fault), they get quite determined to make it work. It's a great community.
When I moved from Linux to BSD, I was uncertain about Open or Net, Open won me by their manpages. But NetBSD is certainly a good OS with a great community.

(01-11-2020, 08:48 AM)mcol Wrote: I use a custom one i hacked together and normally notifications appear above fullscreen windows. I have a keybinding that "pauses" all notifications, and after I hit it again they are replayed. This is good for e.g. doing presentations. Maybe that'd be useful behaviour?
Which notification system do you use and how do you set a keybinding to pause it?
Maybe that isn't the solution as I want to keep xnotify simple and don't make it listen to key presses.
Maybe using signals to pause/unpause notifications?

(31-10-2020, 09:49 PM)phillbush Wrote: • Does the notification is queued and appears when the fullscreen window become normal-sized or is closed?
I was trying all alternatives and this one is the trickiest and less appealing one:
I have to watch the root window for property changes so xnotify can be aware of the active window, and I also have to watch this active window for property changes on the WM state property for xnotify to be aware of whether it is fullscreen or not.
Maybe using signals is the way to go.

Messages In This Thread
RE: xnotify: popup a notification on your screen - by seninha - 01-11-2020, 09:49 PM