Computing As A Geek's Toy - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pfr
Nixers
Agree 100%

Lately, I've been participating in a thread over on another forum where package requests are being responded to and accepted by developers. Most of the packages I've requested have been frills or things to spice up the desktop experience. I was surprised to see these were well received requests. It goes to show we all share the need for connection with our computer. I'm happy to say that (upon request) phillbush's xnotify has now been packaged and is being maintained in pkgsrc :)

I guess I'm only mentioning this because I initially feared criticism from a community of developers when requesting arguably useless features be added to an operating system. Useless, perhaps in the eyes of serious programmers who want to sink their teeth into stuff that helps them become more productive, not things that keep them distracted from their work like "the old-school X programs". But I'm not a programmer/developer at all. I like to think I contribute in other ways like reporting bugs or contributing to projects with ideas and requests for new features. But I digress...

I suppose this is a good thread to share "Toys" that we've found along our journeys.

I've only recently stumbled across pscircle which isn't new, but isn't ancient either. I like wallpaper scripts like this. I was actually going to start a separate thread with the specific focus on wallpaper scripts... What do you think?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)

Messages In This Thread
Computing As A Geek's Toy - by venam - 05-11-2020, 01:42 PM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by pfr - 05-11-2020, 08:50 PM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by movq - 06-11-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by jkl - 06-11-2020, 01:24 PM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by venam - 06-11-2020, 01:43 PM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by jkl - 06-11-2020, 03:26 PM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by neeasade - 06-11-2020, 07:40 PM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by freem - 07-11-2020, 12:20 AM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by venam - 07-11-2020, 04:53 AM
RE: Computing As A Geek's Toy - by pfr - 08-11-2020, 10:49 PM