Spammers exploiting Unix Hub? - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
D9u
Long time nixers
I've reported 3 spam threads so far.
Looks like php myBB still has the same vulnerabilities as it did two years ago.

They're using automated account creation and posting.

http://forums.unixhub.net/showthread.php?tid=240
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC.
Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.
Mafia
Long time nixers
Yeah, happens to pretty much every new forum.
Once activity picks up it seems like they get scared, plus they know forum mods aren't active as much so their posts stay up longer.
gurhush
Long time nixers
I've reported much more than 3.

We just need some ability to hide threads from general members. Obviously don't give the power to people who will abuse it, and only give it to 2-4 users. By hide threads, I am referring to the functionality some forums (BurningBoard) provide by allowing moderators and administrators to 'delete,' a thread, but the deletion doesn't actually delete it, but instead, just queues it for automatic deletion for 30 days, during which all moderators/admins can see the thread that has been 'deleted,' and can choose to finalize deletion or let it sit there. The thread is completely hidden from regular members.

We could put some members on 'trial,' moderation periods where they have light powers such as the aforementioned, and based on their performance and need of moderation (increased spam, etc) are either 'demoted,' back to a member or promoted to a full moderator.
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
Thank you neoterra i was just about to ask this!
I do Byte
Jayro
Long time nixers
It is a shame people use MyBB forums for this reason. However, NeoTerra has been doing an amazing job securing the forum from these malicious spammers!
venam
Administrators
There was no spam today! I'm glad this problem got solved.
D9u
Long time nixers
Good job!
I hope to learn a lot from this forum.
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC.
Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.
Mafia
Long time nixers
(11-09-2012, 06:08 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 10:17 AM)venam Wrote: There was no spam today! I'm glad this problem got solved.

I won't count the chickens until they've hatched, but seeing as we went from 24 reported posts yesterday to none so far today, I'd say we're doing quite well.

Yeah, what plugins where they btw?
Id like to know the coder who made them, I have a thing for sniffing out sources that actually work. Haha :p
For educational reasons of course.
gurhush
Long time nixers
I second shix' congratulations! Great job on the selection of plugins.
D9u
Long time nixers
Did you find any traces leading back to the culprits? (Retribution!)
Mafia
Long time nixers
(15-09-2012, 06:02 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(14-09-2012, 10:08 PM)D9u Wrote: Did you find any traces leading back to the culprits? (Retribution!)

Not really, I don't really care too much. Probably some skids from HF testing their MyBB bots.

I second this.