Social Networking - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
[This is Off topic but technology related]

I've been out of social networking for about a year now, after some obvious wrong things that were going on (like Facebook entering the stock market).
This thread is about your opinion on those horrible, so called, _social networks_.

Here's some interesting videos showing how social networks are misleading:
http://www.archive.org/download/Outerz0n...ngfail.mp4
http://ia600502.us.archive.org/34/items/.../aide1.avi

Personally, I feel like social networks make people look stupid, real dumb. I mean, I've been out of this for a year and when looking at those people wasting so much time on those networks; wandering around laughing at some stupid pictures; hoping that they will/are become/ing popular, while in fact they are not.
This is really disgusting to see all those people trying to persuade themselves that this is important.
Last but not least, when you delete you FB account, FB shows you pictures of **friends** that will, supposedly, miss you. DAMN! I see those friends almost everyday!

Anyway, YOU CAN SHOUT IN THIS THREAD AND SAY WHAT YOU REALLY THINK!!!!

PS: I heard from some people that Facebook is becoming a professional network. don't make me laugh IT WILL NEVER BE PROFESSIONAL; even linkedIN is not professional.
Also, it laggs like hell.
zygotb
Long time nixers
I quit using FB last Christmas...
I never really ever did use my Twitter account(s.)
I check Google+ once in awhile, but it's gotten worse since it went public.

But, yeah, I used to waste a lot of time on FB, and a couple other social-networking sites.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I can't leave FB :(
Dritz
Long time nixers
When book face came started getting popular, me and my sister made a pact to never join. The only reason I could see myself breaking that pact would be for business reasons. L0L

It just seems like a waste of time.
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
venam
Administrators
Dritz, joining Facebook for business reason. MAN, Business and Facebook are oxymoron. How can someone think even for a second that Facebook is a professional network! Really, what would company choose between sending mails to each other everyday or to use Facebook (which can disclose all their personal information).
Altogether, there are many stories of people loosing their jobs because of Facebook and not vice-versa.

As was said, Facebook is just a huge market place where they are selling personal information to the ads/apps that appears everywhere.
This is simply a way of controlling the population, inserting them in a bubble where they can only see what they want, talk with who they want, and feel comfortable sharing everything they know and are.
In a nutshell, it's like a zoo!
simon
Long time nixers
facebook sux so hard. i agree, im only there because i need to speak to my daughter.
Reindeer11
Members
I only use Facebook so my class knows what parties I can come to or not. I don't post anything at all.
Dritz
Long time nixers
(27-10-2012, 03:44 AM)venam Wrote: Dritz, joining Facebook for business reason... MAN, Business and Facebook are oxymoron. How can someone think even for a second that Facebook is a professional network! Really, what would company choose between sending mails to each other everyday or to use Facebook (which can disclose all their personal information).
Well, I didn't really mean 'business' in that way. More like, for a professional public persona.

And yes, the data-mining on bookface is another primary reason I don't use it.

Anyone that knows anything about social engineering should run a metadata thought experiment (A.K.A. 'Thinking about how certain information could be used to metaphorically and/or literally rape you') before posting anything on the internet.

[Image: facebook.jpg]

@ Simon

Aww...
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
crshd
Registered
Like slinging drugs?

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Mafia
Long time nixers
Ive never used them, nor will I ever.
I despise social networking sites, idk why. But I always have, they take peoples souls.
Okeg
Long time nixers
I hate them, but I have to use them. Sadly.
I use them to contact people over school etc, talk to friends etc etc.
Much better than installing skype, MSN etc.
Okeg
Long time nixers
(31-10-2012, 09:27 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(31-10-2012, 06:09 PM)Vizaari Wrote: I hate them, but I have to use them. Sadly.
I use them to contact people over school etc, talk to friends etc etc.
Much better than installing skype, MSN etc.

I remember the good old days of MSN...

Yeah, haha.