Help a tired Linux user! - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Jayro
Long time nixers
Hello,

Recently I formatting my desktop and just installed Windows so I could game. Obviously, this is not going to work for me! It is time for me to install something on that empty partition I left!

Before formatting I had Arch linux on that partition. I like it, but things where broken and with their recent switch to systemd I am not sure I want to re-install Arch.

Generally, I am a huge Debian fan. However, with the only forward release being Squeeze and having to do a dist upgrade after installing to have access to newer packages seems uncalled for.

So, me being as fed up as I am with the distributions I generally use I am turning to you! Tell me what to install Unixhub!

I like having a complete DE, but love WM's too. I have used Subtle and DWM and have loved them but I have also loved using Gnome3. I guess what I am saying is I can go either way as far as the DE goes.

So here is my question to you.

What distribution should I install, and with what DE/WM?
TheHotBot
Long time nixers
Install Slackware and Cinnamon :)
Haters gonna hate!
"TheHotBot" Aka NeverW8!

I can be seen on the IRC from time to time :)
gurhush
Long time nixers
Just install Debian and upgrade to rolling until the newest stable release (coming in 2050!!!!) is out.
Jayro
Long time nixers
(07-11-2012, 10:23 AM)TheHotBot Wrote: Install Slackware and Cinnamon :)
Haters gonna hate!

Maybe I will give slack a try. I have not played with it or cinnamon yet.
jolia
Long time nixers
If I'll to reinstall a desktop with GNU/Linux (for example to test the steam beta :D) I will go for a simple debian minimal from network with MCWM : >
I'm running Debian netinst with fvwm, you should try it out.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
Quote:Generally, I am a huge Debian fan. However, with the only forward release being Squeeze and having to do a dist upgrade after installing to have access to newer packages seems uncalled for.
I think jayro said this as well...
Anyway, FreeBSD since its a desktop.. Else go with Centos or some RedHat distro which will give you a bit newer packages than debian stable but also not break.
eye
Members
(07-11-2012, 09:21 AM)Jayro Wrote: Before formatting I had Arch linux on that partition. I like it, but things where broken and with their recent switch to systemd I am not sure I want to re-install Arch.

"Boy, That escalated quickly." :-)

Have you tried http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

For me it said gentoo || slackware.

I am using arch, never leaving it.
zygotb
Long time nixers
(04-12-2012, 06:36 PM)eye Wrote:
(07-11-2012, 09:21 AM)Jayro Wrote: Before formatting I had Arch linux on that partition. I like it, but things where broken and with their recent switch to systemd I am not sure I want to re-install Arch.

"Boy, That escalated quickly." :-)

Have you tried http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

For me it said gentoo || slackware.

I am using arch, never leaving it.

That's a cool site that you've linked to.
It should be stickied on HF *nix section. :D

Like you, it suggested that I try Gentoo, or Arch.
But I'm liking FreeBSD too much to bail now.

Thanks for the share!
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
Red
Long time nixers
Try Debian Sid. I am currently on the sqeeze release and far as i can tell updates are faster on sid than on wheezy.
CrossFold
Long time nixers
Sid is probably the unstable version if I remember it right.. So its ought to have much more faster updates than the testing version. But I think the unstable version is more like ArchLinux.. So it might break more often than squeeze or wheezy..