HP Touchpad + Arch + KDE Plasma/Active? - Other Embedded Platforms and Hardware Hacking

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Thinking of getting my hands on an HP Touchpad and getting Arch running on it, then slapping KDE Plasma/Active on top.

I haven't jumped the gun and made the purchase already as I'm struggling to find documentation on getting Arch on this thing, it'd be nice to know if it was still maintained. Also, battery life is a huge concern of course, and I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Just thoughts right now, what say you?
gurhush
Long time nixers
If I was going to run *nix on a laptop, it would be a Thinkpad or a Macbook Pro (at a HUGE discount; I wouldn't buy a MBP otherwise). Thinkpads are really the best and are well documented, versatile, and hardy laptops.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(05-12-2012, 01:38 PM)gurhush Wrote: If I was going to run *nix on a laptop, it would be a Thinkpad or a Macbook Pro (at a HUGE discount; I wouldn't buy a MBP otherwise). Thinkpads are really the best and are well documented, versatile, and hardy laptops.

I'm guessing you didn't Google 'HP Touchpad' :P Haha

The Touchpad is a tablet from HP, it's easily hackable, can run WebOS, Android & Linux. That's why I made this thread, specifically in the ARM section :)

However, that said, I've always said to people who ask me about tablets "Welp, I have an 11" MacBook Air, that's almost as small as a tablet and does much more." and I think I'm actually gunna stick with that notion.

I suppose this post was somewhat spontaneous, I wanted to see what UH thought whilst I had the idea in my head. Honestly, I think in the end it'd be a waste of money for myself, however, I reckon it would be a very cool project for anyone else looking for a tablet.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(06-12-2012, 05:04 PM)NeoTerra Wrote: Touchpads are kind of iffy. If you can pull it off without too many problems, then I'd go for it. Otherwise I (personally) would stay away from it. Might be need to tinker with though.

Yep, definitely agree with you there. I think that's the main attraction, my endless need to tinker :P
Mafia
Long time nixers
I would go with a netbook over a tablet anyday.
gurhush
Long time nixers
(06-12-2012, 05:30 AM)Phyrne Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 01:38 PM)gurhush Wrote: If I was going to run *nix on a laptop, it would be a Thinkpad or a Macbook Pro (at a HUGE discount; I wouldn't buy a MBP otherwise). Thinkpads are really the best and are well documented, versatile, and hardy laptops.

I'm guessing you didn't Google 'HP Touchpad' :P Haha

The Touchpad is a tablet from HP, it's easily hackable, can run WebOS, Android & Linux. That's why I made this thread, specifically in the ARM section :)

However, that said, I've always said to people who ask me about tablets "Welp, I have an 11" MacBook Air, that's almost as small as a tablet and does much more." and I think I'm actually gunna stick with that notion.

I suppose this post was somewhat spontaneous, I wanted to see what UH thought whilst I had the idea in my head. Honestly, I think in the end it'd be a waste of money for myself, however, I reckon it would be a very cool project for anyone else looking for a tablet.

Sorry, my mind was not in sober places when I replied to this thread. My apologies for off topic shenanigans; I was genuinely trying to assist you.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(08-12-2012, 02:32 PM)gurhush Wrote: Sorry, my mind was not in sober places when I replied to this thread. My apologies for off topic shenanigans; I was genuinely trying to assist you.

No apologies necessary, we've all been there ;)
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
(10-12-2012, 07:01 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(09-12-2012, 09:26 PM)Phyrne Wrote:

No apologies necessary, we've all been there ;)

*cough* *cough* Beastie late at night on IRC....xD
[/quote]

Me? Drunk? lol.