Some Questions (openbsd) - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Lith
Long time nixers
Hey guys some questions if you can point me in the right direction cheers.

1: Which is the lightest 'WM' for openbsd? i know xfce is light but i want lighter lol...

2: Best Media player for music and movies

3: Does it support mp3's or what other formats?

4: Does anyone know 'xampp' ? and if its possible to install it on openbsd? i've done it many times for windows and linux even solaris 11 but what about openbsd anyone confirm?

5: What's the status of 'WINE' on openbsd?

6: Does openbsd have an 'update' feature or just gets updates every 6 months in a different version like 5.1 then 5.2 yes?

7: What is the chances of openbsd crashing or bogging down ? im told it's very 'smooth'

8: Which is the best books for openbsd? (i've already seen the thread about the books) but is there any new ones? and so forth.

That's all i need to know for now thanks and cheers i know it's asking a lot....

~Lith
Mafia
Long time nixers
1. I use fvwm2, very light, oldschool, and extremely customizable and comparable. The original fvwm was OpenBSDs default WM for the older setup disks.

2. cmus for music, mplayer for videos.

3. Of course.

4. I have never tried it.

5. Not very compatible, but if you know how to hack right, anything is possible.

6. Yes, your OpenBSD system must always be in sync. You must update everything all at one time, or you will come across many breaks and random unknown problems. Although updating isn't as simple as typing "update". Read the OpenBSD docs. I believe they release a knew version around every 6 months.

7. I have ran OpenBSD for around 8 months now, it's the fastest BSD I have used. And I have yet to see any decrease in speed, although I have put very very long hours of work into my setup.

8.Tbh, just surf around the internet, study up on Unix in general. Then move your focus towards some of the older OpenBSD books(2005-present). I have read about 4 OpenBSD books, countless blogs, and countless threads. I have noticed that I learn the most from just playing with a default setup and a WM, and hacking about for hours on end with a couple e-books and google searches. Although OpenBSD isn't nearly as documented as the other BSDs, if you have the heart to learn it. You will find out what you need to know, it will just take some trial and error, instead of a simple google search.

Hope I helped.
Lith
Long time nixers
Thank's for the reply, so how would i go about of updating it? does it need to be updated all the time im sure she can run months on end with out a 'single update' ? - just curious

You have links to cmus mplayer etc and fvwm2? how would i go about to install them ? i will plan to install openbsd on a spare thinkpad laptop soon 5.2 can you tell me the command to install fvwm2 then ? i've also been searching day and night now for openbsd tutorials, trying to find books to buy im sure they are still relevant ? and yes i know now they make a new version every 6 months so 5.3 will be in 2013 but are the changes a lot of simple ones? im sure i can update 5.2 to 5.3 in the future by a simple command yes?

and yes im checking the docs now cheers.
Mafia
Long time nixers
(18-12-2012, 03:00 PM)Lith Wrote: Thank's for the reply, so how would i go about of updating it? does it need to be updated all the time im sure she can run months on end with out a 'single update' ? - just curious

You have links to cmus mplayer etc and fvwm2? how would i go about to install them ? i will plan to install openbsd on a spare thinkpad laptop soon 5.2 can you tell me the command to install fvwm2 then ? i've also been searching day and night now for openbsd tutorials, trying to find books to buy im sure they are still relevant ? and yes i know now they make a new version every 6 months so 5.3 will be in 2013 but are the changes a lot of simple ones? im sure i can update 5.2 to 5.3 in the future by a simple command yes?

and yes im checking the docs now cheers.

The official docs on the OpenBSD website will show you how to update, as for install the packages. It's as simple as "pkg_add -r "package". Unless you would like to compile from ports, and if you are using the OpenBSD website set, I think fvwm might come with some extra packages on the download. I think you should read exstensivly on OpenBSD though, being that you didn't know how to install a wm or cmus, and mplayer(no offense).
venam
Administrators
1, 2, 3 and 5 are just software related so because we are in a free software community you can install whatever you can install on any other *nix system.
If you want personal opinions or tastes of the people here I don't think it will really help you; just try all the programs and choose the ones you like.
[I'm using awesome WM,mplayer,cmus]
For 3 just get the free codecs.
See ya around!
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
1: Which is the lightest 'WM' for openbsd? i know xfce is light but i want lighter lol...
-> there are lots of wm available, CWM is installed by default and is awesome.
2: Best Media player for music and movies
-> mplayer for movies and cmus for music
3: Does it support mp3's or what other formats?
-> of course!
4: Does anyone know 'xampp' ? and if its possible to install it on openbsd? i've done it many times for windows and linux even solaris 11 but what about openbsd anyone confirm?
-> openbsd has it's own apache version you can install :)

5: What's the status of 'WINE' on openbsd?
-> I wouldn't play with wine on OpenBSD.

6: Does openbsd have an 'update' feature or just gets updates every 6 months in a different version like 5.1 then 5.2 yes?
-> There is software for package managment and updates. Works flawlessly.
7: What is the chances of openbsd crashing or bogging down ? im told it's very 'smooth'
-> Crashing? NEVER. Unless you have ACPI problems :P
8: Which is the best books for openbsd? (i've already seen the thread about the books) but is there any new ones? and so forth.
-> Like for FreeBSD, The official documentation is awesome. READ IT EVERYDAY.
zygotb
Long time nixers
Look for <pkg name>
whereis <pkg name>

Change directory.
cd /usr/ports/<pkg name>

Make.
make install clean

That's one way to install software on BSD systems.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
Mafia
Long time nixers
(18-12-2012, 08:22 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(18-12-2012, 04:30 PM)Beastie Wrote: READ IT EVERYDAY.

AND SAY THE OPENBSD PRAYER BEFORE BED AND MAKE A SACRIFICE TO THE OPENBSD GODS EVERY MORNING.

GODDESS, if you say god around a OpenBSD system she will vaporize your beard.
Lith
Long time nixers
Thank's guys and mafia no offence taken dude like i said i've tested openbsd ONCE never fully used it etc was in linux and the windows (world) (plus it's part of my job anyway lol)

as for openbsd? clueless like a lost drunken man 0.o

so like i said anyone willing to help and tell me how to install this and install that? in the future? i've asked this before on other linux forms and they just tell me to GTFO lmao... but this is a unix forum xD

I'll be spreading the word about this site don't you worry guys n girls.

Also

Anyone point me in the right direction of the official openbsd docs? i can't seem to find them on the site are they in the downloads ? cheers
Mafia
Long time nixers
Lith
Long time nixers
Cheers, better get a coffee n read this.