SunOS - Download? - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Lith
Long time nixers
Anyone know where to get this old os?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunOS

Looked left right & centre cannot find anything,

Trying to find 4.1.4 Which is the last release of SunOS 4 or is there a place which has all versions for download ?

Found this

http://toastytech.com/guis/sv414.html

link no download tho 0.o

(this for testing purposes and just curious)

Also seeing as its so old i assume booting from a cd is difficult? or ?

cheers
TheHotBot
Long time nixers
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6301635/S...is_1.1.1B)

What are you going to do Lith? :)
"TheHotBot" Aka NeverW8!

I can be seen on the IRC from time to time :)
Lith
Long time nixers
Thank's 4.1.3 will do (for now) anywhere else you can think of to get 4.1.4 ?

What am i going to do? 'recently found old sun os books' also got a pentium 2 machine collecting dust (thought i'll install one of the oldest unix os's around)

- Also see if it's possible to get it 'hooked to the web' now that be something..... ha! im sure it can be done with some tweaking plus i have VERY OLD network cards laying around? some dating from the 90's so? should be alright i think (this could be impossible tho)

Anyone around here tried SunOS ?
(don't get confused with solaris now guys)

'EDIT'

Shit, i just rememberd do any of you think SunOS is Y2K compliant or not? lol
Lith
Long time nixers
Would SunOS work on 'newer hardware' ? i have a P4 machine 'Dual cores'Quad etc spare here, i would slap 4.1.4 (if i can find it) on a quad machine but i don't think it would? work right? ?

Finding the OS is a right bastard that torrent ain't seeding well either.... ahhh#

Any help ?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
I use SunOS 5.11 everyday and I think you can find it on any torrent site, however sunos is deprecated and I would love to use solaris 11 (oracle) as a production server.
Lith
Long time nixers
SunOS 5.11 = Solaris 11 tho yea? i have that on a laptop also the ISO file somewhere 500+MB

The last true SunOS is 4.1.4 xD which is ancient in design but hooking that up to the web on 2012 hardware would be interesting but im sure it be a pain in the ass to get java working on it also Apache ? or something, a very old unix can still be as SECURE i would think.

Also Beastie, how you finding Solaris 11 (SunOS 5.11) as an everyday use fast smooth no crashing ya? has all the tools/applications you need ?

I think it's awesome on a laptop and im sure it be just as awesome for a server it's supported till November 2024 which is a lot more than windows supports there operating systems lol.
Lith
Long time nixers
I got 5.11 from the official website sol-11_1-text-x86.iso 585MB - shame they don't have the 4.1.4 on there

Haven't seen any Solaris 11 torrents out there..... but i already have an account with oracle website no fuss just download it.
crshd
Registered
(20-12-2012, 12:28 PM)TheHotBot Wrote: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6301635/S...is_1.1.1B)

What are you going to do Lith? :)

Actually, there was a [link to 4.1.4](https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4913207/....1.2_SPARC) in the comment section on that one. Open your eyes, peeps!

Lith Wrote:Shit, i just rememberd do any of you think SunOS is Y2K compliant or not? lol

SunOS 4.1.3_U1B and later have Y2K patches if I'm not mistaken.

But SunOS 4 is for SPARC - Does that even run on "conventional" hardware?

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Lith
Long time nixers
I saw that but it said 'SPARC' i don't have any sparcs around here lol.... what about 4.1.4 i386/x86?

confused there must be someone out there that has SunOS 4.1.4 i386/x86

Last support was 2003 which is amazing considering it was released Nov 1994 :O
crshd
Registered
I didn't know there was an i386/x86 version, that's why I was confused.

I'll keep looking, then.

GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+

Lith
Long time nixers
Well SunOS 4.0.1 was released in 1988 and SunOS 4.0.2 in 1989 they was i386 so i assume versions after that are i386 no ?

and seeing as 4.1.4 is the LAST release under SunOS name im sure its i386? it be strange if they made 4.0.1/2 for i386 but not 4.1.4 ya?

im just as confused as you man.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
(21-12-2012, 04:03 AM)Lith Wrote: I got 5.11 from the official website sol-11_1-text-x86.iso 585MB - shame they don't have the 4.1.4 on there

Haven't seen any Solaris 11 torrents out there..... but i already have an account with oracle website no fuss just download it.

Yeah you can get it from oracle. I just wouldn't ever run it on low spec hardware, you need at least 8gb ram and a quad core :P
crshd
Registered
Huh, I found a tarball that's supposed to be the 4.1.4 source - does that help?

Lith
Long time nixers
@ crshd

Do they have an iso or anything that can be used to be 'booted from cd' ????

@ Beastie

Why would you need 8GB of ram to run solaris 11? it isn't that demanding dude plus NO UNIX system needs that unless you're a video editor graphics designer etc?

I ran Solaris 11 on 2GB ram laptop she seemed to run well java youtubing videos typing etc seemed fine.

Unless you DEMAND power for solaris 11? lol or maybe just have solaris 11 like open BSD (NO GUI) ? Gotta love CLI im sure Solaris has that option upon installing yes?
cyberpunkz
Members
@ yrmt

I run Oracle Solaris on a old dual core amd64 4600+ with 8gb of ddr2 of memory with no trouble.. hell i even run it in virtualbox with 2 cores and 2gb of memory and it works quite fast.. you don't really need a high end computer to run solaris... you basicly need at least a dualcore and at least 4gb + i wouldn't go any lower than that.

also illumos provide some nice "open source" solaris base system like openindiana is much like oracle solaris.

I just like using the original OpenSolaris which is oracle solaris 11.1 :)

also i found that same iso SunOS 4.1.3 i wanted to get 4.1.4 .. i always love openlook ooo the 90s were good times.

cheers!