Apple in general - Android & Iphone

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
josh
Long time nixers
I have been thinking, and they just arnt releasing anything NEW. It's all the same just re-sized or specs gone up, but no real new ideas. What is your opinions?
One who uses linux embraces change and differentiation, an individual who dares to change from the rest.
venam
Administrators
answer: "how can a dead guy comes with a new idea?"
Dritz
Long time nixers
I'm thinking that they're just focusing on broadening their market. People like the iOS interface. No, in fact, they love it.

It's something they're going to keep for as long as we're still using physical touch interfaces.

They figure, 'if it's not broke then don't fix it". And really, what is there to fix or improve on?

Typical consumers hate learning how to use new things, and the iOS interface is intuitive enough for most users to view it as something that 'just works'.

If they do change anything, it will be in polish and perhaps voice commands via Siri.

The only think I think they need to tap into, and probably are already working on, is 'hybrid laptop/tablets'.

It's easy for anyone to see the potential of such devices. Some company just needs to come along and make the transformation function stupid easy AND as powerful (Microsoft you filthy devil, you're just like Apple now! DOUBLE the evil!!!(Look @ the price of the Surface)) as most laptops on the market for about the same price.
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
venam
Administrators
I never found the folders on an ios. I don't know if it's weird to say that but each time I ask my brother to show me his files on his ipad he opened the application containing movies, for example, to show me which movies he has.
It would be great to be able to access the files normally, I mean to have a file manager.
marcusant
Members
(24-01-2013, 05:03 AM)venam Wrote: I never found the folders on an ios. I don't know if it's weird to say that but each time I ask my brother to show me his files on his ipad he opened the application containing movies, for example, to show me which movies he has.
It would be great to be able to access the files normally, I mean to have a file manager.

You can if you install homebrew software which Apple doesn't allow because 'Murrica.
crshd
Registered
(24-01-2013, 05:03 AM)venam Wrote: I never found the folders on an ios. I don't know if it's weird to say that but each time I ask my brother to show me his files on his ipad he opened the application containing movies, for example, to show me which movies he has.

Jailbreak > iFile & OpenSSH, couldn't live without it.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

crshd
Registered
All depends on what you need. I know plenty of people who run non-jailbroken iPhones and are fine with it.

Also, I find jailbreaking isn't such a big deal. You could also ask what's the point of computers if you need to install *nix on it to get full functionality.
venam
Administrators
(04-03-2013, 09:46 PM)crshd Wrote: Also, I find jailbreaking isn't such a big deal. You could also ask what's the point of computers if you need to install *nix on it to get full functionality.
Jailbreaking isn't like installing an OS on your machine.
How can you compare those 2 things?
crshd
Registered
I wasn't saying jailbreaking is like installing an OS, I said _complaining_ about jailbreaking is like complaining about installing a different OS.

If you're willing to replace Windows with *nix on you computer, I don't see why jailbreaking should be such a big deal. Just my opinion.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Derby
Long time nixers
I've had an iPhone 4s for about 10 months now without Jailbreaking and it's fine. My only problem is the battery life has significantly decreased from 3 days to a matter of hours. My Motorola Milestone was the same though, ended up only lasting 5 hours.

Anyway yeah, I now have iPhone, iPad and Macbook Air from Apple products and the integration is fantastic.

And to think I used to dislike Apple old me would be disappointed.
crshd
Registered
I've actually seen an improvement in battery life on my 3GS after updating from 4.3 to 6. From ~20h standby to about 3 days, I was very surprised. I was about to order a new battery before doing the update, now I think it'll fine until I replace the phone.
Derby
Long time nixers
Hmmmm... I don't quite know when mine started going down hill. I'd put it down to having 3 email accounts pushing for updates every 15 minutes which must be putting a drain on it.

I might look into replacing the battery if it really does continue to be bad.
jobss
Long time nixers
Apple are like the Porsche of the technological atmosphere. Throughout future models they will just change the design ever so slightly until in 80 years it becomes something new.

It's also good marketing, because if every year, you have a new device that looks different, people are not going to know what device that is manufacturer wise. People see a rectangle phone with a band on the side and they say " Oh an Apple iPhone".

They did redesign the Mac Pro tho, which I think looks really nice and compact. And I love the iPhone 5s, the first 64 bit CPU for a phone. All though the chip size is a bit huge, the finger print scanner is also a big plus, as well as that nice silver and champagne color.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
jobss
Long time nixers
(10-09-2013, 06:30 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 11:55 AM)jobss Wrote: Apple are like the Porsche of the technological atmosphere. Throughout future models they will just change the design ever so slightly until in 80 years it becomes something new.

It's also good marketing, because if every year, you have a new device that looks different, people are not going to know what device that is manufacturer wise. People see a rectangle phone with a band on the side and they say " Oh an Apple iPhone".

They did redesign the Mac Pro tho, which I think looks really nice and compact. And I love the iPhone 5s, the first 64 bit CPU for a phone. All though the chip size is a bit huge, the finger print scanner is also a big plus.

To be quite honest, I liked the older MBP better in terms of design.

The old MBP kinda looked like a wart. :P That is until Apple gave it a black keyboard. The 2009 model was the best looking out of the old design.

I kinda liked the plain Macbook more, even though it and the Pro looked similar. Kinda sad that they killed it off. That design they had for it was the sauciest ever!
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
hades
Long time nixers
(05-03-2013, 09:09 PM)Derby Wrote: I've had an iPhone 4s for about 10 months now without Jailbreaking and it's fine. My only problem is the battery life has significantly decreased from 3 days to a matter of hours. My Motorola Milestone was the same though, ended up only lasting 5 hours.

Anyway yeah, I now have iPhone, iPad and Macbook Air from Apple products and the integration is fantastic.

And to think I used to dislike Apple old me would be disappointed.

Jailbreaking could actually fix that. There's a tweak called BatteryDoctorPro, and it has effectively doubled my battery life.