[solved] http tunneling - Security & Cryptography

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
Hello **nixer,
Here comes my most n00bist post.
At school every port, other then 80, are blocked. This is my only way to access the irc, which I would love to.
I don't really know how to set this up correctly.
I read a little on the Archwiki about it but it says to set something up on a proxy, which I don't have. I have a FreeBSD shell on shell.cjb.net if this can help.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tun...TP_Connect
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HTTP_Tunneling
It might sound retard to ask for help and it's not really my style to ask others for help before digging through the internet.
However, today I feel a little lazy.
EDIT: I got over it...
D9u
Long time nixers
Even though you disrespect me, more often than not, I suggest that you access the Unix Hub IRC channel via the link at the top of the page.

Even a moron such as myself can figure it out. :)
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC.
Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.
venam
Administrators
I already tried that, I'm not that retard. The link opens on port 9090.
I'm sorry if I disrepected you in any way.
TheHotBot
Long time nixers
Something like this:

Code:
ssh -D 8080 venam@yourawesomeserver.com

Or atleast i think, just play around with it :P
Not that hard :)
"TheHotBot" Aka NeverW8!

I can be seen on the IRC from time to time :)
D9u
Long time nixers
My apologies to you venam.
I could make up a lame excuse for my boorish reply, but I blame myself for having a bad attitude which has no place within this forum.

I have a lot of respect for you, and my pissy retort was uncalled for.

Sorry for not being more helpful, but I've been building my OS from the ground up, and had some problems which illuminated my own failings.

E kala mai au.
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC.
Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.
venam
Administrators
(15-02-2013, 07:46 PM)TheHotBot Wrote: Something like this:

Code:
ssh -D 8080 venam@yourawesomeserver.com

Or atleast i think, just play around with it :P
Not that hard :)

That does just dynamically assign my port local port 8080 to the port 22 (default) of my shell.
However the only port that is not filtered at university is port 80.
I may need an http proxy that tunnels my connection to a shell or just to put ssh on port 80 on the server but I don't have the rights to touch the priviledge ports.
D9u
Long time nixers
Jayro
Long time nixers
(15-02-2013, 05:28 PM)venam Wrote: I already tried that, I'm not that retard. The link opens on port 9090.
I'm sorry if I disrepected you in any way.

Web chat is now working again, It's supposed to use port 9090.
Dritz
Long time nixers
(16-02-2013, 03:23 AM)NeoTerra Wrote: It's okay D9u, although we jest, we all love you on the inside! :)
Speak for yourself, I'm not lovin him on the inside!

That's just... well, I'm not into that.
"Willful ignorance is a crime"
D9u
Long time nixers
Did venam ever find a fix for his issue? (sorry, I'm useless)
venam
Administrators
Nope, the only fix is to buy a vps and use it for tunneling on port 80.
D9u
Long time nixers
Cheap VPS plans, starting at $3.95 per month.

Or, contact your school IT people and ask them to open port 443?
I don't see why they wouldn't want to allow end-to-end encryption unless they're scrutinizing everyone's traffic.
venam
Administrators
(28-02-2013, 07:50 PM)D9u Wrote: Cheap VPS plans, starting at $3.95 per month.

Or, contact your school IT people and ask them to open port 443?
I don't see why they wouldn't want to allow end-to-end encryption unless they're scrutinizing everyone's traffic.
Indeed they are stripping everyone ssl connection, scrutinizing the trafic.