The new promise I made to myself - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses
venam
Hello,
This thread is about me whining about spams I receive.

I recently started to receive some spams on my custom emails so I got mad and added them to the junk folder.
Then d9u/zygotb reminded that I shouldn't post my email directly in clear text on the internet. He proposed that I should obfuscate the email in a way similar to this:
patrick [at] unixhub [dot] net
Or any other way that is still understandable by the reader.
This is a good way to diminish the spams but it wasn't the end of the road for me.

I took the decision of replying to all of my spams.
I reply in a way that makes the *stupid* guy who sent it, and that is waiting for the one single person that will reply to his """Sir, I'm offering you one bazillion $""", feel awfully bad and down.
Most of the spams originate from Pakistan/India as of today:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/...cas-crown/

So, this is it, enjoy your spams.
Post here what you think of this new way of fighting the spams.
*Philosophically*, will it make any impact, On me, On the spammer?

EDIT: This really diminished the spams I receive.
bottomy
I don't really bother with trying to prevent spammers from getting my email as I just see it as a losing battle. Like besides having the actual email address posted somewhere online they can also get it if you have it mentioned in your cookies (would be pretty dumb for a site to do that but anyway), gain access to the email lists of a site you're registered to (or assume that the site doesn't share or sell their emails), hacking someone that knows your email, etc.

I also doubt that the [at][dot] would be good enough. You'll sometimes see people going as far as you represent their emails as code (i.e. you'll need to run it to get it).

Personally I think you're better off trying to filter the spam rather than worrying about the other stuff.
venam
I will still filter my spams but I find rather satisfying replying to them.
I'm waiting for one of them to reply back to me.
Maybe it's because I don't do social networking that I find this enjoyable.
It's better than reading *trolls* at least.
venam
(15-03-2013, 05:23 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(15-03-2013, 05:17 PM)venam Wrote: Maybe it's because I don't do social networking that I find this enjoyable.

Yeah that would make a lot of sense xD
And here is the philosophical quote!
venam
z3bra
That was reaaally fun!
venam
Bumping with this (I just woke up to it):
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin#mailhide
robotchaos
I also hate fighting spam. I used to have my main account and having several descriptive aliases. So all my video game accounts used games [at] domain [dot] com, shop [at] domain [dot] com, media [at] domain [dot] com, etc. What I found interesting through this system was I could tell when my email accounts were leaked. I used to use social [at] domain [dot] com for my social media accounts, and since this was an alias and I obviously wouldn't be likely to give it out as a means to contact me, I could tell when I started getting email from random places that weren't newsletters. I am talking full spam; buy this watch, have a bride or two, the usual.

And it's because of that reason that I have moved on to my new aliasing system. I now use the year in hexadecimal format x7e1 [at] domain [dot] com( for obfuscation, so vendors don't know its an alias using just the year ). Now, all of the accounts I actually care about, I will switch their email addresses at the start of the new year. And anyone who gets hold of that address, fine. It'll go away in time anyway. It's been working out so far.

Sorry for the rant.
stanislavjo
(05-04-2017, 01:29 PM)robotchaos Wrote: I now use the year in hexadecimal format x7e1 [at] domain [dot] com( for obfuscation, so vendors don't know its an alias using just the year ). Now, all of the accounts I actually care about, I will switch their email addresses at the start of the new year.
Mind = blown
venam
(05-04-2017, 01:29 PM)robotchaos Wrote: And it's because of that reason that I have moved on to my new aliasing system. I now use the year in hexadecimal format x7e1 [at] domain [dot] com( for obfuscation, so vendors don't know its an alias using just the year ). Now, all of the accounts I actually care about, I will switch their email addresses at the start of the new year. And anyone who gets hold of that address, fine. It'll go away in time anyway. It's been working out so far.
I love it! Is the idea yours?

I'll start implementing it right away.
A huge thanks for the tips.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode  |  Help