Do your parents use Nix? - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses
Red
Just out of interest do your parents use something that is Unix based? My parents run Debian on one machine and the HDD on my dads laptop is covered with bad sectors so i remastered Ubuntu with all the applications he needed and used an old version of Unetbootin (DD never worked) to tranfer the iso on to a very small partition and now it runs off the HDD in memory but any kind of persistent storage knocks the drive out lol. I got them in to it in 2011 and they say its better and easier than windows. Do your parents use nix?
Jayro
My step father is the owner of the hosting support company I work for, so he uses nix daily. My mother on the other hand is struggling with it. She continuous fills her Windows system with malware and viruses so I put Ubuntu on it for her. Its growing on her.
Red
(28-05-2013, 08:14 AM)Jayro Wrote: My step father is the owner of the hosting support company I work for, so he uses nix daily. My mother on the other hand is struggling with it. She continuous fills her Windows system with malware and viruses so I put Ubuntu on it for her. Its growing on her.

My mum and dad are dinosaurs so it was extremely easy for them because i threw load of web apps on the desktop and site shortcuts. They do everything with the browser and nothing else. Yeah that is a pain. People would come to our house when we were running windows and disable the anti virus and install stuff that slowed it down.
jmbi
Nope, both parents use Windows 7. My dad used to do a lot of *nix stuff on some of the earlier computers, but he hasn't really touched it since. But his company uses a lot of proprietary software designed for Windows, so he doesn't really have any choice.
yrmt
Well apart from iOS, no.
kirby
I think my dad uses Red Hat for work, and both have Android phones, but otherwise no.
Robby
My father doesn't know how to power a computer on, my dearest mother has trouble using Windows.
zygotb
I am the parent, and yes, I use FreeBSD. (my parents don't use computers)
Nihility
My father only checks his emails, nothing more nothing less (in windows)

My 3 brothers only plays Dota2 (in windows)

It's a lost cause! fml
Red
(29-05-2013, 02:09 PM)Robby Wrote: My father doesn't know how to power a computer on, my dearest mother has trouble using Windows.

My parents also had issues with Windows. They don't have a clue about computers ether. They don't even know what Windows or Linux is. Try and get your mum in to it and customize it exactly how she wants it.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode