Do your parents use Nix? - Psychology, Philosophy, and Licenses

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Red
Long time nixers
Just out of interest do your parents use something that is Unix based? My parents run Debian on one machine and the HDD on my dads laptop is covered with bad sectors so i remastered Ubuntu with all the applications he needed and used an old version of Unetbootin (DD never worked) to tranfer the iso on to a very small partition and now it runs off the HDD in memory but any kind of persistent storage knocks the drive out lol. I got them in to it in 2011 and they say its better and easier than windows. Do your parents use nix?
Jayro
Long time nixers
My step father is the owner of the hosting support company I work for, so he uses nix daily. My mother on the other hand is struggling with it. She continuous fills her Windows system with malware and viruses so I put Ubuntu on it for her. Its growing on her.
Red
Long time nixers
(28-05-2013, 08:14 AM)Jayro Wrote: My step father is the owner of the hosting support company I work for, so he uses nix daily. My mother on the other hand is struggling with it. She continuous fills her Windows system with malware and viruses so I put Ubuntu on it for her. Its growing on her.

My mum and dad are dinosaurs so it was extremely easy for them because i threw load of web apps on the desktop and site shortcuts. They do everything with the browser and nothing else. Yeah that is a pain. People would come to our house when we were running windows and disable the anti virus and install stuff that slowed it down.
jmbi
Long time nixers
Nope, both parents use Windows 7. My dad used to do a lot of *nix stuff on some of the earlier computers, but he hasn't really touched it since. But his company uses a lot of proprietary software designed for Windows, so he doesn't really have any choice.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Well apart from iOS, no.
kirby
Long time nixers
I think my dad uses Red Hat for work, and both have Android phones, but otherwise no.
Robby
Long time nixers
My father doesn't know how to power a computer on, my dearest mother has trouble using Windows.
zygotb
Long time nixers
I am the parent, and yes, I use FreeBSD. (my parents don't use computers)
Nihility
Members
My father only checks his emails, nothing more nothing less (in windows)

My 3 brothers only plays Dota2 (in windows)

It's a lost cause! fml
Red
Long time nixers
(29-05-2013, 02:09 PM)Robby Wrote: My father doesn't know how to power a computer on, my dearest mother has trouble using Windows.

My parents also had issues with Windows. They don't have a clue about computers ether. They don't even know what Windows or Linux is. Try and get your mum in to it and customize it exactly how she wants it.
Reki
Members
Both of my parents use Windows 7 and there's no point in trying to convert them because they only use it to check their mails once every month.
Red
Long time nixers
(30-05-2013, 03:12 PM)Reki Wrote: Both of my parents use Windows 7 and there's no point in trying to convert them because they only use it to check their mails once every month.

In that case i guess not. Have you ever asked them?
Loki123
Members
My father does.
Mom is outdated linux-something, but does not use it..
crshd
Registered
My stepdad did. Other than that, no. And I see no point in trying to force it on anybody. If they're happy with what they have, it's all good, why should they switch?

That being sad, my mom tried OS X for a while, and ended up hating it.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

canute
Members
My father tried Ubuntu but eventually switched back to windows since he uses it a lot at work. Can understand picked up a copy of windows 8 myself. Just so I would have an idea where everything was when trouble shooting an issue over the phone.
“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.”
eye
Members
My father always used windows. He tried once Xubuntu I think (With my help back in the day). He wasn't that happy with it (Too used to Microsoft Office).

Once I gave my old notebook to my mum.

It had Arch with XFCE on it. She's using it ever since. When she comes to visit, I try to update the packages... It never broke till now, fortunately.
Gen
Long time nixers
My father had taken a course in school a decade back, but he uses Windows 8.1.

My mother uses Windows 7, but she seams to think she uses 'acer'
Saos
Long time nixers
Father uses Windows 7 because he's always used Windows. He also writes massive (and I mean massive) spreadsheets in Excel, so he needs it.
He's actually asked me before if I just use *nix to be edgy.

My mother is painfully computer illiterate. She uses a Windows Surface and nothing else.
hades
Long time nixers
I installed Crunchbang on my mom's laptop as a dual-boot and she recognized that it was faster and better but she didn't like the interface and didn't want to bother transferring all of her stuff (her massive collection of files is extremely unorganized) so she asked that I move Vista to the top of GRUB's list.

I might introduce her to Elementary one day.

My dad heard me talking about how I wished more manufacturers made their machines available with Linux installed, and he said that the majority of users would be lost. Before then, I had assumed he had no idea what a linux was. Then, a couple of months ago, I let my dad borrow my laptop to do some internet searching, and I had Elementary on it. I logged into the guest account and handed it to him. At first, I had to just kind of point to the firefox icon, but he had it from there and was surprised at how easy it was to use. I told him to play around with it after he was done searching, and he found the Software Center (and I explained it to him as "an app store for your computer") and he looked through the other apps and some of the programs I had installed (including LibreOffice)... then he asked the critical question: "Could I use my work programs on here? Like ArcGIS and *insert other specialty CAD and Mapping programs here*"

I did my research on all of his programs and was disappointed to tell him that he wouldn't be able to, but that he should email the companies and ask them to port their software. All in all, I guess it's good that he got to see that linux is user-friendly and can do most stuff. Maybe when he retires and doesn't need those programs, I'll give him a nice laptop with Elementary installed.
berk
Long time nixers
iOS and Mac OS X are technically nix, right? So yes. :p
Bones
Members
No other *nixers in my family, both parents have passed. However, after making fun of Apple and the Mac OSX for years, my sister and brother-in-law (Windows users) are now firmly entrenched in iPods, iPhones, and iPads.
Snowcrash
Members
Since my Mom's old XP desktop is EOL I'm considering throwing a super lightweight linux OS on there so she can easily do day to day things. Once the laptop's version of Windows reaches its end of life I will probably do something similar. She's not a complete dinosaur with computers as long as she can figure out the 1:1 relationship between old icons and buttons versus new ones in a distro of my choosing.