Post your specs. - Hardware talk
jmbi
(09-07-2013, 11:40 PM)dionysus Wrote: Why so much storage for an IRC server?

It's a personal media server as well. I can stream stuff to my PS3.
kopri
You're lucky to have all those computers to play with! I used to have my own computer lab with two rack servers and around 10 desktops but I had to sell them all after my last car accident.
hades
Old laptop (haven't sold it yet): Toshiba A85-S1072
RAM: 1 GB
CPU: 1.4 GHz
HDD: 40 GB
WM: Openbox
Manufactured in 2003, was given to my friend by his mom after she upgraded. My friend has a kick-ass desktop and didn't need a laptop at the time, and I was in need of one, so he threw it my way for free. I started out with Crunchbang on it, and a few months ago, I foolishly decided to try Arch. Things constantly broke, and I just reverted back to Crunchbang.

New laptop (bought it on ebay for 99 bucks a few weeks ago): Apple PowerBook G4 15"
1.5 GB RAM
1.5 GHz PowerPC processor
WM: Openbox at first, AwesomeWM for ten minutes, i3 ever since

Desktop (One of my IT clients just replaced a lot of their desktops, and they let me have one of their old ones, free of charge. It's by an off-brand I've never heard of, Howard Computers, and there's no model number indicated on the case)
CPU: Intel 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
WM: i3
zygotb
Only PC = Acer Aspire One netbook (nearly 5 years old)
CPU = Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz = 800 MHz virtualized into 2 fake cores)
RAM = 1 GB
HDD = 160 GB
OS = FreeBSD 9.1
WM = DWM
(11-07-2013, 04:09 PM)zygotb Wrote: Only PC = Acer Aspire One netbook (nearly 5 years old)
RAM = 1 GB
HDD = 160 GB
OS = FreeBSD 9.1
WM = DWM

Keeping it minimal!
berk
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 (2.66 GHz)
RAM = 4 GB (786MB ignored)
HDD = 295 GB total
OS = FreeBSD 9.1
WM = 2bwm
hades
(11-07-2013, 04:11 PM)yrmt Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 04:09 PM)zygotb Wrote: Only PC = Acer Aspire One netbook (nearly 5 years old)
RAM = 1 GB
HDD = 160 GB
OS = FreeBSD 9.1
WM = DWM

Keeping it minimal!

Think that's minimal? Just a year ago, I only had one laptop with 256 Megs of RAM and I used it on a daily basis. I feel so fortunate now, haha.
zygotb
A few years ago all I had was a Samsung Blackjack II WM6.2 phone.
I made my fist websites using that phone, then played with php, css, etc. But the one thing I wanted to do but couldn't was to login to some remote host on the net. I had zero unix experience and little knowledge outside of Windows/DOS/NetWare.
I finally got some .IMG file and a VNC app and was able to connect to the .IMG file via VNC.

When I got this netbook is when I dove right in to *nix with UNR, but Ubuntu Netbook Remix was really sucky.
It had a dumbed-down interface that would have worked better on a touch screen, and the regular DE was GNOME. GNOME sucks on this netbook.

And I just realized that I'm rambling...

LMAO!

I would be bummed out to have only 256 MB RAM...
I have an old Compaq that had 128 MB RAM that ran WinXP but I didn't have a good HSDPA signal so tethering didn't work until the cellcos upgraded their systems.
I was in the dark for y-e-a-r-s.
hades
The newest addition to my hardware: Zipit Z2:
CPU: Xscale 312 MHz
RAM: 32 MB
Internal Storage: 8MB flash (Originally held the entire Zipit OS, now just holds the Uboot bootloader)
Removable Storage: 8GB MiniSD (where my OS resides)
Price: $20 on ebay
DotDev
Laptop
Sony Vaio
[Image: sony-11q4-vaio-f23-black-coveropen-lg.jpg]
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 6G
HDD: 750G + 2TB HDD

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode