This amused me too! Thanks for sharing.
kopri
Long time nixers
That's how kids talked about Ubuntu at my school :/
zygotb
Long time nixers
"Ew-bun-2"

I've always said, "ooh-boon-2"

5 years ago I was convinced that "Ubuntu Linux" was the greatest thing since crack cocaine...

Now, thanks to this site, and this community, I'm a FreeBSD believer!
kopri
Long time nixers
Seems like they are trying hard not to be.
gurhush
Long time nixers
(13-07-2013, 12:17 AM)shix Wrote: I think the Ubuntu website doesn't even mention it's a Linux Distro.

(13-07-2013, 03:20 AM)kopri Wrote: Seems like they are trying hard not to be.

And that really, really grinds my gears. Why is canonical trying to distance themselves from GNU and Linux, when their entire system is built on it? Ohh, but they'd just prefer you call it Ubuntu. I guess it's to not scare away their target user base (retards) because 'Linux,' has implied complexity? Bah.
kopri
Long time nixers
It's because Unix is the DEVIL! My pastor told me.
shtols
Long time nixers
Quote:Why is canonical trying to distance themselves from GNU and Linux, when their entire system is built on it?
If you are not happy with Ubuntu, what do you do at the moment? Right, you switch to another Linux distribution, something based on Ubuntu or Debian because you are, at least a little bit, familiar with it. Most of the knowledge you gained during your period of use can be used on other distributions too. Maybe you have to adjust a little bit because some things are handled different at "the other" distribution.

Replace Xorg with Mir. Build your own init-system. Make your own changes on standards, claim it is for the user's comfort. Create an ecosystem, with Ubuntu Phone, Ubuntu TV and what not. Distance yourself from Linux as far as easily possible. And advertise yourself as easy to use operating system for every people, not just for nerds, geeks and all the other tech-savvy people. Gain a lot of new users, and if some of them are having a problem, they'll need a Ubuntu-specific solution for it, because you are far away from the rest of the Linux world formerly working solutins are not applicable anymore. So what are normal users going to do? Call for support. Call for support directly at Cannonical. And pay for it.

Personally I've got the feeling that Cannonical wants to start earning money with it's product.
venam
Administrators
And now people that wants to make money from free stuffs are called evil. I would rather call them smart.
shtols
Long time nixers
Mister Stallman will hunt you in your dreams for that.
kopri
Long time nixers
I don't think it's evil at all. I personally just don't like their OS, or most of their software besides UFW.