Which keyboard layout(s) do you use? - Off topic
Halfwit
I know both US qwerty and Dvorak, I can mooostly fluidly change between the two
fraun
I've always been super interested in learning another layout, but I feel like I'd need to take a couple of weeks off from work to learn it.
Wildefyr
It's like the age old issue of automating things: any speed advantages are negated by the time spent learning a new layout. Ergonomics is a different argument, if qwerty is causing pain after you've eliminated other factors (poor posture, no rest, no breaks etc) then obviously switch. I guess I'm getting more pragmatic in my older age, there was a time when I wanted to switch and learn colemak.
Halfwit
Switch. Just do it. And take the opportunity while you've obliterated your muscle memory to undo every last poor typing habit you've developed. If you're a perfect Qwerty typist, you aren't reading this thread anyways; don't worry about it.
Wildefyr
That's the thing - I am now a perfect qwerty typist. People around me get weirded out when I touch type while they are forced to look down at their keys.
fraun
(16-10-2019, 05:53 PM)Wildefyr Wrote: It's like the age old issue of automating things: any speed advantages are negated by the time spent learning a new layout
The difference being that I always justify the time spent automating things by saying that I'm learning things while I'm doing the automating. Where as spending time learning something that is just an alternative, with no definite improvement is difficult to justify.

Members  |  Stats  |  Night Mode