Which keyboard layout(s) do you use? - Off topic

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
berk
Long time nixers
The Unix community differs from other people in their software and hardware choices, so I thought - we probably have individuals who differ in their keyboard layout choices.

In this thread we hear out such individuals commenting on their keyboard layouts. I'll be first;

I have used QWERTY for 9 years. Today I switched to *Colemak* on my phone and my tablet. I haven't got used to it yet, but I found it easy to adapt (especially for someone who comes from QWERTY). I wrote this in Colemak. I'm a happy man.

There also is a Turkish F-keyboard that I used to be fluent in. I haven't used it for a year, though.

yrmt: I know that you have Colemak 2bwm config file, I will use it when I come back home (in a month or so) :)

QWFPGJLUY
ARSTDHNEIO
ZXCVBKM.
shtols
Long time nixers
QWERTZ. Haven't really tried anything else except a short stint into Dvorak.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Colemak is very comfy. I can't get past 80wpm with it but that's just me :)
Ippytraxx
Members
QWERTY ISO Nordic layout for now. Getting a Keycool 84 with US International layout.
crshd
Registered
Self-modified "programmer's" QWERTZ. Plenty fast and comfortable with it, don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

Didn't we have a thread about this before?
Jayro
Long time nixers
You guys should try using this website to gauge how fast you can type.

[http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/eng...t/english)

I use a QWERTY layout and was able to hit 90 words per minute. I also don't type the way most people are taught to type with their fingers placed on asdf and hjkl by default.
shtols
Long time nixers
QWERTZ is the German version of QWERTY, yep. And because my ancestors decided to make funny letters such as ä, ö or ü we have our own layout. I think everybody else in the western world uses QWERTY per default.
crshd
Registered
Yeah, I hardly use those, since most of time I'm typing English anyways, so I put {[]} on ö and ä, to type them quickly without breaking my right hand. They're still accessible via Alt Gr + original keys if I need them.
jobss
Long time nixers
I used QWERTY for my entire life, and may not change that. Although I do like how Colemak is setup. I only ever avg. 60 wpm. On a cold day, only like 30 wpm.

Don't ever crack your knuckles, I never knew how much it could slow down your typing.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
kopri
Long time nixers
I type 60 wpm with QWERTY, but I don't use home keys, I mostly use 2 fingers because I'm an idiot. I was thinking of changing to Colemak and forcing myself to learn to type correctly.
jobss
Long time nixers
(31-08-2013, 08:31 PM)kopri Wrote: I type 60 wpm with QWERTY, but I don't use home keys, I mostly use 2 fingers because I'm an idiot. I was thinking of changing to Colemak and forcing myself to learn to type correctly.

When I peck at they keys I can only get around 20 wpm. We type similarly, that we don't use the home row keys.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
shtols
Long time nixers
Recently did the switch from QWERTZ to QWERTY. Best decision I made for a long period of time.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
I am using the neo2 keyboard layout at the moment. I made my transition not-so-long-ago, november 2014, mostly because I read how qwerty was designed AND BECAUSE OF CAPS LOCK. Neo is a layout optimised for the german language, and it has also some quite interesting ideas about how a layout should be organized. For example, it replacse caps lock with a layer for special ascii characters like _[]^!<>=&\/{}*?()-:@#$|~`+%"'; (okay, I admit it, this was the whole layer). I like it because I can understand how it was designed and I learned touch-typing with it. Learning it was painful but worth it. I haven't measured my speed yet, but I feel very comfortable with it.

bsdkeith
Long time nixers
QWERTY UK - what I was brought up with, no reason to change.
movq
Long time nixers
"de_capsergo": https://github.com/vain/arch-packages/tr...e-capsergo

It's based on QWERTZ, but AltGr has been moved to CapsLock, plus common symbols are easier to reach. For example "CapsLock" + j = [ or "CapsLock" + n = @. Typographical quotes like „these“, “these” or «those» are also easy to reach.

It still contains tweaks / variants for my previous laptops.

I guess the layout is not very useful for you non-QWERTZ guys, but I still wanted to post it because it demonstrates how easy it is to modify the Xorg and Linux keyboard layouts (without having to fiddle with xmodmap).
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
Default US ANSI layout. Have been thinking about slowly transitioning to something like colemak by swapping two keys at a time and slowly transitioning that way.
I use a mix of QWERTY UK and AZERTY + a few Unicode chars: https://github.com/Ypnose/dotfiles/blob/...mbols/kbyp
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
I use the qwerty layout with some layer changes on an ergoxdox at home - http://imgur.com/a/gCYjO
ashen
Members
I use QWERTY myself -- just never changed it. I can hit 80wpm when using sites like 10fastfingers, but when I'm typing out of my head it's usually a little faster than when I'm having to process the words on the screen too.

I also instinctively start backspacing when I make an error on a word so that probably slows me down a little too. Not to mention I stubbed my middle finger the other day.
xero
Long time nixers
(02-09-2015, 10:38 AM)neeasade Wrote: I use the qwerty layout with some layer changes on an ergoxdox at home - http://imgur.com/a/gCYjO
ergodox envy
Members
I'm boring. I use normal QWERTY Swedish layout.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
(02-09-2015, 04:09 PM)075 Wrote: I'm boring. I use normal QWERTY Swedish layout.

I'm more boring, English QWERTY

To be fair, an alternate keyboard layout is not high on priorities at the moment.
I go back to school in less than 24 hours and I need to start my AP US history work that I put off all summer.

Too much *nix not enough homework
Pr0Wolf29
Members
I only bother to know QWERTY since I know I'll end up using someone else's keyboard at some point.
ninjacharlie
Members
I use (English) QWERTY, because I'm fairly adept at it (can get up to 110 WPM), and for convenience sake. I'm sure DVORAK is great, but learning it would take a while, and it would make using any other keyboard difficult.
RoastPotatoes
Long time nixers
I use colemak at an average of 80 wpm. I once reached 111 but that was a freak accident.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
I'm now very comfortable with colemak, and posted about my experience learning it on the colemak forum: https://forum.colemak.com/topic/2483-25-...and-roles/
jkl
Long time nixers
I find non-QWERTZ layouts weird, to be honest.

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
atbd
Members
I use bépo, really comfortable to write french rapidly.
twee
Members
I used Dvorak for around half a year. I definitely felt an improvement. But I had to give it up because I have to use a lot of computers which I can't choose a keyboard for.
budRich
Long time nixers
I am Swedish. That means that i have been forced to use the terrible "Nordic QWERTY layout". At first glance it might not look that much different from normal QWERTY. But for anyone using special symbols (programmers, *nixers) it is the worst layout ever.

The nordic layout is shared with denmark and norway, since all three countries have three letters that aren't used in many other languages, but are very common in ours: åäö (in norway and denmark they look a bit different, but are more or less the same letter/sound).

I don't know who or when, but to make room for these characters on the keyboard, Ö and Ä are placed to the right of L on the home row, and Å is placed to the right of P. The characters that are normally there are more or less randomly scattered across the keyboard.

I lived in Greece for a year, the Greek language have over 20 unique chartacters, but their keyboard layout is more or less exactly like ANSI with an extra layer. This is when i really understood how much better ANSI is compared to the nordic layout, and it took me just a a month or so to get faster with it then the nordic one.

The only drawback for me, as a Swede, is of course that with ANSI layout it is difficult to type the swedish letters.

But a while back ago i found a repo on github, where a dude had created a custom layout, that is ANSI with an extra layer:
hold Alt Gr and press the keys where öäå (;'[) is, to type the swedish chars. (shift + Alt Gr to type them capitalized).
https://github.com/sebastiw/keyboard-layout

And this is the layout I have been using for over two years now. I can't take people defending the nordic layout serious.

My WPM is ~80 right now. (i use klavaro, gtypist and 10fastfingers to practice)