Broadcom 4313 WiFi - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
zygotb
Long time nixers
Here's one way to get BCM 4313 wireless to work in PC-BSD.

http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?p...post108992

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Wireless_Testing

Not sure if the method applies to FreeBSD yet, but will report back when I find out.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
Ippytraxx
Members
BSD is like AMD of the OS world, efficient, stable but no drivers... I'm not blaming the BSD developers for this but I just don't see the point in PC-BSD aka BSD on the desktop.
jobss
Long time nixers
(09-09-2013, 04:15 AM)Ippytraxx Wrote: BSD is like AMD of the OS world, efficient, stable but no drivers... I'm not blaming the BSD developers for this but I just don't see the point in PC-BSD aka BSD on the desktop.
I agree with AMD drivers, with proprietary drivers 1080p Youtube viewing was all choppy. Love the open source drivers, everything is buttery smooth.

I am defiantly going to try out this method on my old desktop. Then I won't be tethered to the router everyday, taking up space in the dining room.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
Ippytraxx
Members
(09-09-2013, 10:28 AM)jobss Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 04:15 AM)Ippytraxx Wrote: BSD is like AMD of the OS world, efficient, stable but no drivers... I'm not blaming the BSD developers for this but I just don't see the point in PC-BSD aka BSD on the desktop.
I agree with AMD drivers, with proprietary drivers 1080p Youtube viewing was all choppy. Love the open source drivers, everything is buttery smooth.

I am defiantly going to try out this method on my old desktop. Then I won't be tethered to the router everyday, taking up space in the dining room.
Yeah but no accelerated 3D, muh games.
zygotb
Long time nixers

The point in favor of PC-BSD is the new user. I want my non geek girlfriend to be able to use my laptop if she wants to and I don't want to use Windoze or *buntu, or Mint, etc.
FreeBSD is as useful on the desktop as PC-BSD but setup is easier on PC-BSD. For me FreeBSD is as relevant on the desktop as any other OS.
I'm not a gamer, so I'm not too concerned with 3D acceleration.
Ippytraxx
Members
(10-09-2013, 06:10 AM)zygotb Wrote:

The point in favor of PC-BSD is the new user. I want my non geek girlfriend to be able to use my laptop if she wants to and I don't want to use Windoze or *buntu, or Mint, etc.
FreeBSD is as useful on the desktop as PC-BSD but setup is easier on PC-BSD. For me FreeBSD is as relevant on the desktop as any other OS.
Sure if you exclude everything else then you are left with PC-BSD. But my point is PC-BSD is pretty useless if there are no drivers. What if you're girlfriend wants ACPI, so the laptop hibernates when closed, nope no drivers. Multi-touch scrolling, nope no drivers. SD card reader, nope no drivers. It's not just about video/sound drivers, but drivers for everything.

Never had any luck with BSD on both my Thinkpad X121e or X1 Carbon when it comes to these drivers. Linux on the other hand has the Thinkpad ACPI drivers, Clickpad drivers, etc. Until BSD gets more recognition and companies start supporting it with their drivers, it really is not such a great desktop OS, especially on laptops.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(09-09-2013, 04:15 AM)Ippytraxx Wrote: I just don't see the point in PC-BSD aka BSD on the desktop.
Just came here to say; I run OpenBSD on my desktop and everything works perfectly...
jobss
Long time nixers
(10-09-2013, 08:03 AM)Ippytraxx Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 06:10 AM)zygotb Wrote:

Sure if you exclude everything else then you are left with PC-BSD. But my point is PC-BSD is pretty useless if there are no drivers. What if you're girlfriend wants ACPI, so the laptop hibernates when closed, nope no drivers. Multi-touch scrolling, nope no drivers. SD card reader, nope no drivers. It's not just about video/sound drivers, but drivers for everything.

Never had any luck with BSD on both my Thinkpad X121e or X1 Carbon when it comes to these drivers. Linux on the other hand has the Thinkpad ACPI drivers, Clickpad drivers, etc. Until BSD gets more recognition and companies start supporting it with their drivers, it really is not such a great desktop OS, especially on laptops.
I always thought that BSD and Lenovo went hand and hand. Also most devices that use an SD card also have available a mini USB to connect to the computer. Transfer rates won't be nearly as great but its always a plan b to not having a working SD card reader.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
zygotb
Long time nixers
Here's what worked for me...
I posted a link in my new blog which, in turn, links to Oliver's Blog post which details how he got his BCM 4313 device working in FreeBSD.

Cheers!