. - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)
diyorgasms
Long time nixers
diyorgasms
Long time nixers
venam
Administrators
I recently started to learn what the android sdk was about because my brother is doing a programming contest aiming at android development (which he will obviously win tomorrow).
So, after 2 nights of downloads, which is _very_ long, I finally could see what it was all about.
**DAMN**, the horror interface, **DAMN** that is slow, **DAMN** _java_.

I'm looking forward for the sdk of the Ubuntu phone. At least it won't be java.
diyorgasms
Long time nixers
BigE
Members
(04-07-2013, 05:12 PM)diyorgasms Wrote: I totally agree. Everything about Android development is nightmarish. Ubuntu is a far cry from KISS philosophy, but at least with a compiler you can build (or write) whatever software you might need.
Have you seen Inferno running on android phones?
https://bitbucket.org/floren/inferno/wiki/Home
While very unpolished and experimental, it really shows that as long as you have all the drivers and base band binaries that are required for your phone to work, you can really stick anything you want on top of the Linux kernel, at least it would appear for the Nexus phones.
[Image: a0QZxXO.gif]
diyorgasms
Long time nixers
gurhush
Long time nixers
The shell sounds very promising indeed. Like you said, diy, I think a .Xdefaults would be incredibly awesome on a mobile term emulator. Too bad about the keyboard. But I guess what do you expect from a mobile OS in its early stages and developed by canonical, right?
BigE
Members
Like we were talking about on IRC last night, I think a huge factor for me ever adopting this OS is how baked in Canonicals data harvesting and Amazon Malware crap is. You were saying that attempting to remove it would come back and say that the whole OS is going to be removed, which personally, doesn't fly with me.

On the plus side, the Touch OS uses the Android Linux kernel as its base, so depending on how all the different parts of Touch OS are packaged, perhaps you can sort of hack your way into having most of the OS by installing one package at a time and making sure they aren't pulling in anything shady.
[Image: a0QZxXO.gif]
hades
Long time nixers
I'm sure that before Ubuntu Touch is finalized, some users from another Distro will have made their own spinoff that's based on their distro of choice, uses Ubuntu Touch's mobile components, and doesn't include any of Ubuntu's spyware or bloat. Perhaps Mint Touch or ArchTouch? Those names have a nice ring to them.
venam
Administrators
**Mint Touch**, that's a name that sounds rather refreshing, kind of like a summer drink.
hades
Long time nixers
I just wish I had a phone that was capable of running linux.

I mean, sure, I could go and get a low-quality Android phone and flash Ubuntu Touch onto it when it's finished, but the little 20-dollar Android phones they sell in curb stores usually have something like 126 Megs of RAM and knowing Ubuntu, that just ain't gonna cut it.

Now, if I could actually, legitimately install linux on my iPhone, I'd be a happy man.