Anybody interested in a UnixHub Gentoo Overlay? - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
crshd
Registered
Hey y'all.

I'm in the process of going back to Funtoo (system is compiling as we speak), and I just had an idea.

How many Gen/Funtoo users are out there, and if yes, then would we be interested in working on a UnixHub overlay for portage? Just so we have a unified place to put our custom ebuilds, instead of everybody doing his or her own thing. I think it would be nice little community project that everybody could contribute to, since it doesn't require a lot of knowledge, effort or time.

Note to all of you BSDers out there: you should do the same.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

srp
Long time nixers
I really like this concept. Sounds fun. +1
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
I do not use {Ge,Fu}ntoo, but I think it's a very good idea to start a community place where people can submit their ebuilds and using it with portage.

So you should start anything like that.
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
venam
Administrators
We could use the unixhub github for that?
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Yes of course, let me make the repository.

##[There it is, clone it!](https://github.com/UnixHub/UnixHub-Portage)
jobss
Long time nixers
That would be epic! Gentoo is one my favorite distros.

Once I get a computer up and running again, I'll put some things on that hub.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
Hans Hackett
Members
Sounds good, I am switching to gentoo recently :-)
crshd
Registered
So, anybody gonna join in this, or what? I could have made my own repo if I'm the only one pushing to it anyways.
Hans Hackett
Members
I would join, but noted that I am poor in C.... :P ((self-learning
crshd
Registered
Ebuilds are written in Bash.
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
Hans Hackett Wrote:I would join, but noted that I am poor in C.... :P ((self-learning

Hardcodet Ebuilds :P

[irony]
Step one * Download Ebuild via git.
Step two * Check Source and maybe edit.
Step three * Compile Ebuild
Step four * exec Ebuild
Step five * Compile package
Step six * Remove Ebuild{source}
[/irony]
I ask myself if this would be used… :D

//Edit
Added irony-tags
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
venam
Administrators
I'm not that knowledgeable but...
>Ebuilds are written in Bash
>Step three * Compile Ebuild
This sounds like someone who never used Gentoo.
srp
Long time nixers
Let me find a guide on how to make Ebuilds, then I'll push passgen into the repo.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
jobss
Long time nixers
I propose, that instead of just having this community e-build project be just a place where we can post our own custom versions of a piece of software. In addition to that, how about we accept user requests, and the OP puts up a list of what e-build is currently being worked on and by whom. That way if something goes wrong with the e-build or someone has questions about its contents they can be contacted. This way we can help others who don't know how to make an e-build or for those who just don't have the time to make one possible and at the same time share our customized versions of (x piece of software).
crshd
Registered
Finding out who you need to yell at when something blows up can be easily done by looking at who commited it to the repo.

I'm all for taking requests. But whipping up an ebuild usually doesn't take a long time, so keeping the OP updated with a list of ebuilds currently being worked on is somewhat pointless IMO. Instead, I would propose to use github's issue tracker. Submit a bug report to request an ebuild to be added to the repo. I think that would be the better way to organize such a task than trying to use the forums. Everybody can quickly see open and filled requests, and if somebody feels up to the task, they can make and ebuild and push it, closing the issue. This way, you'll have another place where you can immediately see who did what.

(01-09-2013, 10:25 AM)sticky Wrote: Let me find a guide on how to make Ebuilds, then I'll push passgen into the repo.

How about [Gentoo's Development Guide](http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html)?
Phyrne
Long time nixers
Whelp, as much as I love this idea, so far it doesn't look like there's many Gen/Funtoo users here. I know I loved Funtoo when I used it.

Though, that said, that's just from me scanning through the thread.

I think what crshd is looking for here is clear, concise answers from those in the community that do want to get involved with this.

If you're about, speak up guys.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Let's make an other repo for OpenBSD ports heh Phyrne?
jobss
Long time nixers
(02-09-2013, 01:24 AM)crshd Wrote: Finding out who you need to yell at when something blows up can be easily done by looking at who commited it to the repo.

I'm all for taking requests. But whipping up an ebuild usually doesn't take a long time, so keeping the OP updated with a list of ebuilds currently being worked on is somewhat pointless IMO. Instead, I would propose to use github's issue tracker. Submit a bug report to request an ebuild to be added to the repo. I think that would be the better way to organize such a task than trying to use the forums. Everybody can quickly see open and filled requests, and if somebody feels up to the task, they can make and ebuild and push it, closing the issue. This way, you'll have another place where you can immediately see who did what.

(01-09-2013, 10:25 AM)sticky Wrote: Let me find a guide on how to make Ebuilds, then I'll push passgen into the repo.

How about [Gentoo's Development Guide](http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html)?

That sounds so much easier, I never got around to use github to post things.
Phyrne
Long time nixers
(02-09-2013, 09:29 AM)yrmt Wrote: Let's make an other repo for OpenBSD ports heh Phyrne?
I love the sound of that ;)
gurhush
Long time nixers
I am extremely interested, will probably contribute after I migrate my Gentoo to Funtoo.
dcoppa
Members
(02-09-2013, 09:29 AM)yrmt Wrote: Let's make an other repo for OpenBSD ports heh Phyrne?

https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip