BSD Distribution List - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Reki
Members
Informative thread but I think we should scale down the images. It's for those who are on smaller displays and have bandwidth problems.
Robby
Long time nixers
I tried GhostBSD but it just failed to boot correctly and that was before I found and tried FreeBSD. I may try NetBSD on my netbook when I get round to buying it. I'm currently trying to get FreeBSD working on a 95' system, nice high quality post mate.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
OpenBSD is really awesome. Too bad I rely on my closed source Nvidia drivers.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Yes, but not the latest like I want. OpenBSD is always my option on hardware without a proper graphics card.
Lith
Long time nixers
Isn't FreeBSD the same as PC-BSD just with a gui ?
Robby
Long time nixers
(23-12-2012, 04:07 PM)Lith Wrote: Isn't FreeBSD the same as PC-BSD just with a gui ?

I haven't looked into it, I'm not sure if PC-BSD uses all the packages and ports available to FreeBSD. I think it auto configures specific things and whatnot you'd have to do manually in FreeBSD. Can't speak from experience so don't take it to heart.
Lith
Long time nixers
Well i've just been 'scouting' the interwebz and they are saying 'PC-BSD is FREEBSD just with a GUI which is aimed at desktops and to be more friendly, i might actually give this a go on one of my laptops/
jobss
Long time nixers
I read on Phoronix, but cannot find the article anymore, but I thought I saw that this developer ported Ubuntu Touch to BSD for tablets. I am not sure tho as whether or not that is correct, as I said I can't find the article.
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!
Mafia
Long time nixers
Has anyone tried Debian/kFreeBSD?
Seems kinda cool.
jmbi
Long time nixers
(28-08-2013, 04:41 PM)Mafia Wrote: Has anyone tried Debian/kFreeBSD?
Seems kinda cool.

I have not, I would rather just use ArchBSD. But it seems like Debian/kFreeBSD has a wider user base, so I might give it a shot.
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
The Debian-Developers say that Debian/kFreeBSD is not a BSD Distribution, it should be a GNU-Distribution.

But ArchBSD is on my list for Systems to try in the next time.
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
shtols
Long time nixers
Quote:The Debian-Developers say that Debian/kFreeBSD is not a BSD Distribution, it should be a GNU-Distribution.
FreeBSD-kernel, GNU/Linux-userland .. so even if calling it a distribution of BSD is wrong, calling it a GNU distribution is even worse in my eyes.
nrmc.dubz
Long time nixers
shtols Wrote:calling it a GNU distribution is even worse in my eyes.
But if they say it is a GNU-Distribution… They're know best what they do

IMHO you are right, but why they should call it GNU-Distribution, if it is not?
SpongeboZZ; Bikini Bottom Mafia/
You're cock-sucker, bitch/ silence while godfathers speech/
yeah/ da plancton in muh blunt/ gangster squarepants witha gun/
Sponge iz the bozz in da buiz/ you're creating silly trash/
i'm creating hollywood shit/
shtols
Long time nixers
Quote:But if they say it is a GNU-Distribution… They're know best what they do
The developers don't always know it the best, especially when it comes to such 'politicized' topics.
Quote:It's not one or the other. It's a hybrid distribution.
Ack.
jobss
Long time nixers
Here is a new one I just heard about called MirOS. Which does not have Mir as its display manager, its name had to do with Mirports (now depreciated) and is a fork of Openbsd.

Here is a link to their about page, and down the way a little bit it talks about the changes they made from Openbsd.

https://www.mirbsd.org/about.htm
The world is quaking from our Linux Thoughts!