Exherbo - GNU/Linux

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
apk
Long time nixers
Hey everyone, just curious to see if anyone had any experience with Exherbo. I tried installing it about 10 times, but could never get it to work. I just installed Crux since it was easier in my opinion, but I'm still going to try and give it a go on a different system I have. Long story short, I couldn't even finish the installation process. When I tried to recompile systemd, it would always fail. I thought the problem was dependency issue, but I wasn't sure. I can't check any logs or anything since I formatted that part of my drive, but if it happens on the other system, maybe I'll bring it up.

Anyways, have you tried Exherbo? Haha, did you get it installed successfully?
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Trying it out right now ;)
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Alright, got it installed, and it boots just fine :) (Had an issue with my custom kernel, where a special config needed by systemd wasn't activated).

As far as I can tell, here are my first impressions:

It's extremely easy to install, and relatively easy to configure. The package manager, paludis, has a nice interface called "cave", which will help you manage your packages. It seems extremely powerful (it's inspired from portage), but also really different from what you are used to when it comes to package management.

For example, you don't "install" a package, but instead, you ask paludis to resolve an issue for you, where your issue is to have a package installed (seems pretty weird at first, but makes sense after all).

The difference between "world" packages (explicitely installed) and dependencies is also nicely drawn. Thus, dependencies seems well handled.

Though the package management systems seems to be targeted to people that already know how `portage` works, and are rather used to it, as I couldn't find any simple tutorial about it. There are still things I don't understand (eg, I can search for packages, I get results, but when trying to install them, I just can't because of the "mask". Not sure what it is yet).

So in the end, exherbo seems like a good improvement over gentoo, with an extremely powerful package manager.
I totally recommend trying it !
apk
Long time nixers
Awesome, glad to hear it worked for you z3bra! I have some free time tomorrow, I was going to give it another whirl since I'm so bent on getting it working. Can you shed some detail on that problem you were having? It may relate to mine, since systemd was causing a ruckus during my installation as well. The website does link to a page specifically for installing systemd, which outlines all the specific kernel config options, was there something that it was missing?

Nice to see you're enjoying it, hope you keep looking at it! It seems to have a community even smaller than CRUX's...
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Yeah I found the kernel option on the page you're talking about (there is a comment saying the systemd-219 won't boot without it). That's pretty much it. This option is NOT needed to compile systemd though.
Houseoftea
Long time nixers
Hey dsplayer

Are you still using exherbo? If so- what do you think about it?