Favorite text editor? - BSD

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
Hi i edit a lot of test with configuring my files and was wondering what everyones favorite text editors where and maybe there advantages?! Thanks
I do Byte
gurhush
Long time nixers
I've never used BSD, but vim is always a popular choice. It is incredibly powerful and versatile.
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
Yes I always use vim but wondered if there was custom ones?! Or can u do that!
I do Byte
gurhush
Long time nixers
You can install colorschemes, plugins, edit configs, etc. Yes.
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
(08-09-2012, 12:30 AM)gurhush Wrote: You can install colorschemes, plugins, edit configs, etc. Yes.

Sorry have never even thought about editing the text editor O.o
I do Byte
Robby
Long time nixers
I use vim for practically everything, thanks to shix for persuading me a month or so ago.
Mafia
Long time nixers
I wouldn't call it BSD text editor, most editors can by used without trouble on most linux systems as well.
But vim is my fav, although I do alot of teaching with nano. For tutorials, and irl stuff for friends.
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
(08-09-2012, 10:54 PM)NeoTerra Wrote: I use leafpad at the moment, but will be looking to get into real text editing once I have to do programming for school.

Same, I wasn't sure what was the best is though.
I do Byte
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
VIm is awesome and can be learned quite fast.
Mafia
Long time nixers
Yeah learning vim irratated me, I didn't like the controls. But now its second nature lol.
FreeBSD
Long time nixers
I have always used vim but was wondering if there was others to play around with
I do Byte
purgatori
Members
I used to use Vim for all my text-editing needs, but now I use Emacs for that and... well, just about everything else.
purgatori
Members
(15-09-2012, 06:16 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(15-09-2012, 03:15 AM)purgatori Wrote: I used to use Vim for all my text-editing needs, but now I use Emacs for that and... well, just about everything else.

How do you like emacs?

Well, the learning curve being as steep as it is -- especially when one is coming from the radically different Vim and/or doesn't even know how to utilize the various help functions -- I like it a lot more now that I'm a the "intermediate" stage of the journey towards Emacs mastery. For a long time, I actually used the "Vimpulse" library so I could actually get right into using it for all the things I previously used Vim for, without having to learning a multitude of key-chords. From those lazy beginnings, though, I slowly eased my way into using Emacs as Emacs, and now I'm at the stage where I'm learning and using Emacs Lisp to dive into the guts of Emacs (nicely exposed to the user as they all are) and alter it to serve my purposes even better.

I think that what I like about it most though is just how extendable it is. Right now, I regularly use EMMS (Emacs Multimedia System) to manage and play my music collection; Org to and Diary to compose and publish blog posts, organize various types of todo lists, and keep track my schedule; Dired for file-management; Emacs-w3m for browsing the web; R-mode for interfacing with the interactive evaluation environment for R, etc. etc. The advantage in using Emacs (in conjunction with lots of external apps that it would be foolish and inefficient to attempt to rewrite, e.g: LaTeX, R, mplayer, imagemagick, etc.) for all these tasks is, for me, that they adhere to the Emacs way of doing things, so that learning how to use a new library, and getting it to work with the rest of the libraries in your work-flow, rarely involves much hassle. Plus, they're all written in Emacs Lisp, so it's easy to alter their functionality -- even on the fly, if need be.
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
whoa, I really need to learn how to use emacs properly. emacs on top of a minimal FreeBSD install would be awesome. eBSD!
purgatori
Members
(16-09-2012, 09:04 AM)Beastie Wrote: whoa, I really need to learn how to use emacs properly. emacs on top of a minimal FreeBSD install would be awesome. eBSD!

Ctrl+h t from within Emacs is the best place to start, followed by Ctrl+h r :)

Oh, and the version of Emacs in the ports tree (24.x) now has its own package manager, so it's almost entirely self-sufficient.
crshd
Registered
(08-09-2012, 02:11 AM)FreeBSD Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 12:30 AM)gurhush Wrote: You can install colorschemes, plugins, edit configs, etc. Yes.

If you're planing on doing some serious work, you _need_ an editor that you can mold to fit your personal workflow.

That said, I have been using Vim for quite a while. I always have a couple of instances running, and I even use it for text areas in Firefox, thanks to Vimperator (I'm writing this post in Vim right now). Before that, I was using Geany, but the "leetness" of Vim made me switch.

I have tried Emacs, and I like how customizable it is. But I noticed that I was using this feature to make it behave more like I was used to from my Vim setup, instead of adjusting myself to the ways of Emacs. So I gave up, and went back to Vim.

If you don't have any experience with those two, I recommend checking both of them before you start getting used to one, see which one suits you better, and go from there. Adjusting to an editor is easier if you start from zero than switching later, after you got used to one already.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Acme is also a nice editor, less features but still modular.
purgatori
Members
(16-09-2012, 01:45 PM)crshd Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 02:11 AM)FreeBSD Wrote:

If you're planing on doing some serious work, you _need_ an editor that you can mold to fit your personal workflow.

That said, I have been using Vim for quite a while. I always have a couple of instances running, and I even use it for text areas in Firefox, thanks to Vimperator (I'm writing this post in Vim right now). Before that, I was using Geany, but the "leetness" of Vim made me switch.

I have tried Emacs, and I like how customizable it is. But I noticed that I was using this feature to make it behave more like I was used to from my Vim setup, instead of adjusting myself to the ways of Emacs. So I gave up, and went back to Vim.

If you don't have any experience with those two, I recommend checking both of them before you start getting used to one, see which one suits you better, and go from there. Adjusting to an editor is easier if you start from zero than switching later, after you got used to one already.

I wholeheartedly agree.

In addition to installing both editors and playing around with their
tutorials and whatnot, I would also suggest reading a few comparison
articles so that you get a feel for where you can go with each one as
you become advanced/intermediate user[1].

Regardless of whether you choose Vim or Emacs, though, you're going to
end up with a very powerful and useful editor.

Footnotes:
[1] + Emacs or Vim: http://pseudofish.com/blog/2011/11/25/emacs-or-vim/
+ Emacs vs. Vim: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Emacs_vs_Vim
+ Heretical Confessions of an Emacs Addict -- Joy of Vim: http://slashusr.wordpress.com/2011/09/15...xt-editor/
+ How and Why I Switched from Vim to Emacs: http://artagnon.com/why-and-how-i-switched-from-vi
crshd
Registered
Thanks for the links. I always like to read a sophisticated comparison of those two.

Makes me think if it would be possible to use Vim as the editor in Emacs - now **that** would be a killer OS :D

GCA/IT d-(---)@ s+: a-- C+++(++++)$ UBL*+++ P+++>++++ L++ E W+++$ !N !o K !w !O M+>++ !V PS+++ PE !Y PGP+ !t-- !5 !X R@ tv- b+ DI D+ G e h r++ y+

purgatori
Members
(17-09-2012, 06:20 AM)crshd Wrote: Thanks for the links. I always like to read a sophisticated comparison of those two.

Makes me think if it would be possible to use Vim as the editor in Emacs - now **that** would be a killer OS :D

Have you heard about Evil[1]? I haven't used it myself, but apparently it
is the successor to a library I did use called "Vimpulse."[2] If
it's as good or better than Vimpulse then it allow you to carry out
editing within Emacs in a way that would be functionally and
methodologically identical to Vim.

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-es/Evil

[2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-es/Vimpulse
crshd
Registered
**@ purgatori:**

Yes, I have used Evil during my time with Emacs. Its very nice, makes it quite Vim-ish. It's also what made me realize that I better stick with Vim.

But it shows how extendable Emacs is.

Okeg
Long time nixers
Another vim user here too.
venam
Administrators
Start vimtutor, estimated time to finish the tutorial "30 min", you spend 2hours on it... master it and at the end (like in all good games), it is just the beginning!
zygotb
Long time nixers
I wonder if I can get Qedit for HP-UX to run on FreeBSD?
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
zygotb
Long time nixers
Somewhat tangentially, this blog post talks about text editing principles for which the author credits Brian W. Kernighan for instilling a preference for a single line for a single sentence or concept.

This is supposed to make subsequent editing less cumbersome.
Yada yada yada...
jolia
Long time nixers
(16-09-2012, 09:04 AM)Beastie Wrote: whoa, I really need to learn how to use emacs properly. emacs on top of a minimal FreeBSD install would be awesome. eBSD!

I'm exactly like you br0...

I use everyday vim. But I think emacs -nw could be awesome too...

But I don't want to spend time to learn every binds...
Mafia
Long time nixers
I actually found emacs to be a bit simpler to learn then vim, but that might just be me.
purgatori
Members
(18-10-2012, 09:34 AM)shix Wrote: I heard emacs has some cool plugins(not sure if that's what they're called). And if you're like me who loves vim, you could use Evil, which adds a vim feel to emacs.

They're usually referred to as "libraries."
zygotb
Long time nixers
I just discovered yui (y) and it's sort of like my old DOS favorite, "Qedit," from SemWare.
I'm still trying to figure out how it works. :D

[Image: L70tl.jpg]
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
acme is awesome.