Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
venam
Administrators
(15-02-2018, 02:15 AM)z3bra Wrote: Another way to go would be to replace "today's" with "this week's".
Excellent idea, I think this covers all our cases.

(15-02-2018, 02:15 AM)z3bra Wrote: For the "new posts", I don't use it at all... To me it.just happens to be like "today's post", with less posts (and that is not a lot!). Maybe it would make more sense though if we change the filters.
The "new posts" are the posts that have been made since the last visit on the forums. I agree that there's not really a lot at the moment.

(15-02-2018, 02:15 AM)z3bra Wrote: The thing that bother me most, to be honest, is the delay to make search... I suck at searching (and I type like i have no fingers...), so having to wait 30 seconds whenever I make a typo makes me mad... But maybe that is just me :)
Search being the most expensive action to run on the DB it's understandable that there's a limit. I can reduce it to 10 or 15 seconds.
push-f
Members
Well "this week's" is certainly an improvement. I guess I would still prefer
a paged chronological list of all posts (a timeline if you so will).
Because if you are new here you probably want to browse the last posts
and if you haven't visited for some time New Posts will be vanished after you log out.

>Search being the most expensive action to run on the DB it's understandable
>that there's a limit. I can reduce it to 10 or 15 seconds.

10 seconds is still ridiculous as there are only 15,538 posts and surely not many
queries per second. I think querying a million posts from a SQLite database
running on a Raspberry Pi 2 wouldn't take longer than a second.
venam
Administrators
(15-02-2018, 04:06 AM)1848 Wrote: Well "this week's" is certainly an improvement. I guess I would still prefer
a paged chronological list of all posts (a timeline if you so will).
Because if you are new here you probably want to browse the last posts
and if you haven't visited for some time New Posts will be vanished after you log out.
I think that would be the same as visiting the forum and pressing the sort by "Last Post", which is the default already.

I've also made the sticky posts visually noticeable by adding a subtle background to them.

(15-02-2018, 04:06 AM)1848 Wrote: 10 seconds is still ridiculous as there are only 15,538 posts and surely not many
queries per second. I think querying a million posts from a SQLite database
running on a Raspberry Pi 2 wouldn't take longer than a second.
It's full text search across all posts. Regardless I've reduced the search limit to 5s, which should be enough for any search.

I'm really thankful for all the new ideas here.
push-f
Members
> I think that would be the same as visiting the forum and
> pressing the sort by "Last Post", which is the default already.

A unified listing would simplify browsing the forum because
its few activity is spread over 20 forums. (And I also
think that this listing should be accessible to visitors).

Also as you do not seem to discourage bumping threads that
have been inactive for over a year it doesn't make much
sense that you limit the recent post listing to a week.

Side note (patch for Blank theme global.css) "fix blockquote time parentheses"
Code:
500c500
< blockquote cite span {
---
> blockquote cite > span {
venam
Administrators
I've merge this thread with the old one, as this topic was already posted.

(15-02-2018, 05:40 AM)1848 Wrote: A unified listing would simplify browsing the forum because
its few activity is spread over 20 forums. (And I also
think that this listing should be accessible to visitors).
Would this work as a list: https://nixers.net/search.php?action=getdaily&days=365 the past threads ordered by the last post within the past year.
This could be renamed "Active threads" instead of weekly or daily threads.

(15-02-2018, 05:40 AM)1848 Wrote: Side note (patch for Blank theme global.css) "fix blockquote time parentheses"
Thanks
push-f
Members
That's what I am talking about! Crank days up to 99999 and
replace "This Week's Posts" with the new "Active threads" link.

I still think that the search should be accessible to visitors
(especially the new "Active threads" and Find all threads / posts on profiles).

Side note: The second Default Thread Subscription Mode in the options is blank.
venam
Administrators
(15-02-2018, 06:27 AM)1848 Wrote: That's what I am talking about! Crank days up to 99999 and
replace "This Week's Posts" with the new "Active threads" link.
Let's test this and see how it goes.

(15-02-2018, 06:27 AM)1848 Wrote: I still think that the search should be accessible to visitors
(especially the new "Active threads" and Find all threads / posts on profiles).
Let's also test this, I've allowed guests to see the Active threads.

(15-02-2018, 06:27 AM)1848 Wrote: Side note: The second Default Thread Subscription Mode in the options is blank.
Can you share a screenshot, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
push-f
Members
Thanks for giving it a try.

/usercp.php?action=options contains the following <select> under
'Default Thread Subscription Mode':
Code:
<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
    <option value="0">Do not subscribe</option>
    <option value="1"></option>
    <option value="2">Instant email notification</option>
</select>
venam
Administrators
(15-02-2018, 07:14 AM)1848 Wrote: /usercp.php?action=options contains the following <select> under
'Default Thread Subscription Mode':
This was a bug from the recent upgrade of mybb, this should be fixed now.
Thanks again for all the fixes.
push-f
Members
No problem. I am really enjoying Active Threads.
I just figured out that you can even filter forums using the fids URL parameter.
resk
Members
I go away for a while and you break the forums! Kidding! I love those changes it was a good idea 1848.
push-f
Members
Regarding the search:

* The 4 character minimum search term length is annoying,
many commands / acronyms are shorter than 4 characters.
* The search does not yield partial matches. 77a2b618ff8c54e32d86dfba2eb966c4
Try searching for only part of the above MD5 hash.
* The full text search highlights matches with a "highlight" CSS class,
which has no styling in the Blank theme. You probably want to add
background-color: yellow;.
venam
Administrators
(23-02-2018, 04:13 AM)1848 Wrote: * The full text search highlights matches with a "highlight" CSS class,
which has no styling in the Blank theme. You probably want to add
background-color: yellow;.
Good idea, this was implemented.

(23-02-2018, 04:13 AM)1848 Wrote: * The search does not yield partial matches. 77a2b618ff8c54e32d86dfba2eb966c4
Try searching for only part of the above MD5 hash.
Unfortunately the forums doesn't allow full text search.
(23-02-2018, 04:13 AM)1848 Wrote: * The 4 character minimum search term length is annoying,
many commands / acronyms are shorter than 4 characters.
This is also sort of hard to tackle, this can't be set to 0, it has to have some value and matching 3 character strings would return too many unwanted results.
push-f
Members
As the search doesn't yield partial hits, searching for a 2 character term shouldn't
return too many unwanted results. That is unless you search for a common word
but then it's your own fault. Searching for 'ls' or 'gnu' should return exactly
what you're looking for.
venam
Administrators
(23-02-2018, 04:49 AM)1848 Wrote: As the search doesn't yield partial hits, searching for a 2 character term shouldn't
return too many unwanted results. That is unless you search for a common word
but then it's your own fault. Searching for 'ls' or 'gnu' should return exactly
what you're looking for.
Actually after looking at the setting in more depth the forums are indeed using full-text search. To change what is considered a word I'd have to rebuild the fulltext indexes. I'd leave this change for the next forums upgrade.
venam
Administrators
There seem to have been an issue with the default "Blank" board style where it was not displaying images in the thread. This has been updated and now users can see in their userCP options related to media display.
freem
Nixers
I think fonts are too small or hard to read, as discussed on IRC.
Using the longer phrase I could find that fits in 1 line from the start page ("Deep thoughts discussions such as the development of licenses, as well as other copy-left/right related topics, psychology, philosophical subjects" which is 147 glyphs wide, and someone claims that Research has shown that the ideal line length is about 65 characters. Anywhere between 45 and 85 is generally seen as acceptable, in the context of a roman alphabet. I have not (yet) read that paper but I feel that it's right: when I program, I hate lines longer than 80, and even 80 seems too wide to me (but 80 minus line numbers is better)) I produced this [Image: me5.png][Image: me5.png].

The font used in the terminal is "*.font: xft:Source Code Pro:style=Light:size=10", which was chosen to allow me to:

* split my screen vertically
* while still having more than 70 glyphs per line (including some levels of indentation)
* still be readable comfortably (no need to move closer to screen nor to force eye focus)
* but is still logical text, relatively easy to predict (it's for coding)

Other shots taken by others:

* https://paste.xinu.at/jPf/
* https://movq.de/v/88241dae27/2021-02-13-...168188.png

As can be seen, even if mine is bigger than others, even others can display less glyphs per line.
venam
Administrators
(13-02-2021, 02:03 PM)freem Wrote: I think fonts are too small or hard to read, as discussed on IRC.
I've increased all the fonts by 2px. The change should be live.
The forums layout is flexible enough that zooming in or out by quite a lot will keep it functional.
In all cases, I've regrouped all the font-size related attributes at the top of the CSS if anyone wants to have a shot at it. here it is
stratex
Nixers
I have 110% default zoom for all sites in Firefox, with such settings current nixers.net font is too big, if I set it back to 100%, the size is OK, but it doesn't remember it. I think nixers.net font is larger than 80% of the sites out there. Though, I do not ask to change it, I rarely visit the site anyway, just sharing my experience.
TheAnachron
Members
I use a default zoom of 100% on a QHD 27" desktop with 150% scaling and the font size is bigger than on most other websites, as stratex quoted. It's fine but one needs to get used to it.