Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
grah
Members
My username is grah, I always struggle when it comes to thinking of a name so I chose randomly. I haven't been lurking this website for long as I just recently discovered it. I'm surprised I didn't find it sooner as it seems like a great place to be a part of. I think I did see it before but I thought it was a nixOS forum or something.

I consider myself a rookie because I've never really sunk my teeth into a *nix system, I've only ever scratched the surface then moved on. By that I mean basically how to do normal tasks for a given OS be it an Illumos OS, BSD, or GNU/Linux. I've never really learned a programming language in full or how to shell script but currently I'm interested in learning C, Perl, and awk.

For most of my life I used only Windows and thought that it was the only OS along with Mac. My brother introduced me to GNU/Linux with Ubuntu 12.04 and Backtrack and it just shattered my universe, I had no idea something else existed. After that I started distro hopping and then began learning about the BSDs and Unix. A year ago I completely dropped Windows which I only kept for gaming and school.

The most programming I've done was C# and a little C++ for school. I went to College for both Computer Programming and Game Development but dropped out prior to completion of the latter.

I'm currently working on a website for a company (not my own), just a simple Bootstrap site with very little JS, PHP, and either MariaDB or Postgresql for the db (haven't gotten there yet). It's served up using Nginx on a Debian based VPS. Considering moving to an OpenBSD instance instead, to use included software like pf, httpd, and OpenSMTPD but I'm worried about how it will perform.

I'm a big gamer, mostly on consoles and a little on PC. Some of my favourite game series are Resident Evil, Dark Souls, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., MGS, The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, and Diablo. Recently I've been playing Re:2 and Celeste. I'm also a big movie, music, anime, and manga fan.

I look forward to spending some time on this website learning more about *nix and the like, and talking with some people that share similar interests.
jkl
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers! :)

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
venam
Administrators
(15-02-2019, 01:07 PM)grah Wrote: I look forward to spending some time on this website learning more about *nix and the like, and talking with some people that share similar interests.

You seem on an awesome learning momentum, keep it up and enjoy it as much as possible. Everything can be a game if you think about it.

Hope you enjoy your stay and welcome to the forums.
grah
Members
(15-02-2019, 04:17 PM)jkl Wrote: Welcome to nixers! :)

(15-02-2019, 05:55 PM)venam Wrote: You seem on an awesome learning momentum, keep it up and enjoy it as much as possible. Everything can be a game if you think about it.

Hope you enjoy your stay and welcome to the forums.

Thank you jkl and venam for welcoming me! I've never thought about it as being a game before, but that's probably the best way for me to view it.

Hopefully I will become an active member that will give back => what I take. These forums are definitely an invaluable resource, I've learned so much in so little time already.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Welcome to the forums! Don't hesitate to dig out threads you're interested in by bringing them back to the active posts page!
grah
Members
(18-02-2019, 11:04 AM)z3bra Wrote: Welcome to the forums! Don't hesitate to dig out threads you're interested in by bringing them back to the active posts page!

Thanks for the welcome and for letting me know that I can post in older threads, saves me having to ask!