Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
stratex
Nixers
Hi all!
After seeing that the forum is now became somewhat active I decided to stop lurking around and created an account. I'm a GNU/Linux user, currently using Gentoo, bspwm and lots of terminal applications. I'm more interested in enhancing the workflow, and making something faster/efficient, rather than making something beautiful (aka ricing). Minimalism and simplicity is something I adore greatly, even if my current setup is not particularly minimal. Unfortunately in modern world it is very difficult to stick to these ideals always, and I feel like I never satisfied with where I draw the line between simplicity and usability. In here I would like to get new ideas, discuss things with same minded individuals, level up my scripting skills, and, perhaps in most ideal scenario - find inner peace.
venam
Administrators
(22-10-2020, 10:50 AM)stratex Wrote: using Gentoo
Is that you:
[Image: download_400088300587_92446.jpg]

Jokes aside, welcome to nixers.
I hope you have fun and find you inner peace here.
jkl
Long time nixers
I like Gentoo, actually. Welcome to nixers!

--
<mort> choosing a terrible license just to be spiteful towards others is possibly the most tux0r thing I've ever seen
stratex
Nixers
Mental Outlaw? No, it isn't me, I don't even have a Google account. There are a dozen of people on youtube running Gentoo and making videos about it, it's not that rare anymore. Also why is the default avatar not showing for me?
venam
Administrators
(22-10-2020, 11:57 AM)stratex Wrote: Also why is the default avatar not showing for me?
It seems like the db isn't listening to default values. I've fixed that.

(22-10-2020, 11:57 AM)stratex Wrote: Mental Outlaw? No, it isn't me, I don't even have a Google account.
I definitely wasn't saying it was explicitly you. Indeed, it's surprising how the media outlets are distanced from technology. And I agree, Gentoo isn't niche anymore. There wasn't much else to the joke, it was a lame one sorry about that.

You can take a look and contribute to this thread: Your latest workflow improvement and take a look at some of the member's workflow here.
opfez
Members
Welcome to nixers!
freem
Nixers
(22-10-2020, 12:14 PM)venam Wrote:
(22-10-2020, 11:57 AM)stratex Wrote: Also why is the default avatar not showing for me?
It seems like the db isn't listening to default values. I've fixed that.

(22-10-2020, 11:57 AM)stratex Wrote: Mental Outlaw? No, it isn't me, I don't even have a Google account.
I definitely wasn't saying it was explicitly you. Indeed, it's surprising how the media outlets are distanced from technology. And I agree, Gentoo isn't niche anymore. There wasn't much else to the joke, it was a lame one sorry about that.

You can take a look and contribute to this thread: Your latest workflow improvement and take a look at some of the member's workflow here.

Define lame.

Also, to the opener, welcome, we are a bunch of newcommers around, so you won't be alone :)
mcol
Nixers
(22-10-2020, 10:50 AM)stratex Wrote: I'm more interested in enhancing the workflow, and making something faster/efficient, rather than making something beautiful (aka ricing).
It could be argued that enhancing the workflow, usability of your system is another form of ricing :)

Welcome stratex!
seninha
Long time nixers
Welcome to nixers, stratex!
twee
Members
(22-10-2020, 08:56 PM)mcol Wrote: It could be argued that enhancing the workflow, usability of your system is another form of ricing :)

I was always under the impression that ricing was purely aesthetic changes. I don't think I'll start using the term for my workflow improvements.

Welcome to nixers.
fre d die
Members
Quote: It could be argued that enhancing the workflow, usability of your system is another form of ricing :)
I've always found that for my use case my desktop looks pretty ugly when adjusted to my workflow, pretty much just a single window per "desktop" or tiled windows. think the only real aesthetic change i made was to change the background colour to suckless's blue because its a very nice colour.

Also welcome stratex!
pfr
Nixers
(22-10-2020, 10:50 AM)stratex Wrote: find inner peace.

the real end game. Welcome :)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Maybe you have some bird ideas... Maybe that's the best you can do.” - Terry A. Davis (R.I.P Terry & Percival)