Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
mpr
Members
Hi all,

looking forward talking all things *nix with you guys. I run os x on my macbook air as my primary system that I use for work and most of my personal hacking. I have a tower server that runs xubuntu under an i3 wm.

I've been all over the distro landscape, mostly through virtual boxes on various machines I've owned. I'm a huge fan of arch, just haven't had the time to sit down and really work on getting an install running in a while. Hacked briefly on #!, manjaro, and mint installs, too.

When I'm writing code for myself, I like tcl or lisp.

If there are any tcl hackers out there, drop me a line!

- mpr
They wrote down my brain
on a hard knot of space,
You cannot turn me.
venam
Administrators
Welcome here.

Seems like you've had your share of distro hopping.

I'm not that much into lisp.
mpr
Members
Thanks venam. lisp isn't such a popular language, tcl even less so. When you have the choice of language what do you prefer?
They wrote down my brain
on a hard knot of space,
You cannot turn me.
xero
Long time nixers
(03-06-2016, 02:04 PM)mpr Wrote: I'm a huge fan of arch, just haven't had the time to sit down and really work on getting an install running...

everything you need to know is in the wiki and on the forums. setting up any diy distro just takes practice, arch is no exception.

i really like you avatar, it's the cover of gibson's burning chrome for those who dont know. it combines the cyberpunk aesthetics of my favorite author and glitch art.

and as always,

Quote:welcome to nixers
mpr
Members
Thanks much, xero. Very cool that you immediately recognize the avatar! Been a fan of gibson since middle school (21 now)
They wrote down my brain
on a hard knot of space,
You cannot turn me.
rocx
Members
(03-06-2016, 02:04 PM)mpr Wrote: When I'm writing code for myself, I like tcl or lisp.

What sort of projects? And Scheme or Common Lisp?
pranomostro
Long time nixers
(03-06-2016, 06:54 PM)rocx Wrote: And Scheme or Common Lisp?

The holiest of holy wars.

Yeah.

Hey, mpr.
mpr
Members
(03-06-2016, 06:54 PM)rocx Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 02:04 PM)mpr Wrote: When I'm writing code for myself, I like tcl or lisp.

What sort of projects? And Scheme or Common Lisp?

For tcl, I recently wrote a system for writing term rewriting systems, then wrote a simple symbolic math package for it. It can do algebra and some differential calculus. [term rewriting system](https://github.com/mroll/trs)

Over xmas break I wrote some celestial mechanics code in Common Lisp. That's here [orbit](https://github.com/mroll/orbit).

I've written a lot more common lisp than I have scheme. But pranomostro worry not! I have no use for flame wars, and can appreciate why common lisp exists as well as scheme. In the interest of not going off on a huge tangent, I will say that I prefer common lisp when I am looking to build some application because it is a lisp-2 and thus has more powerful macros. But if I was going to write some experimental program, like a compiler, I might choose scheme because it is more elegant and intuitive (no funcall or #').

Right now I'm working on a text rpg in tcl.

Edit: What is the syntax for markdown style links? I tried above but the forum parser doesn't seem to like it.

Edit: Oh! And I also wrote a minimal object system in common lisp because I thought CLOS would be like, way too overkill. I use that in the orbit program, and the source can be found here https://github.com/mroll/mattos.
They wrote down my brain
on a hard knot of space,
You cannot turn me.
pranomostro
Long time nixers
(03-06-2016, 08:31 PM)mpr Wrote: I've written a lot more common lisp than I have scheme. But pranomostro worry not! I have no use for flame wars, and can appreciate why common lisp exists as well as scheme.

Nah, I've experienced the 9fans editor wars. Nothing can shock me anymore.

You're way too tolerant.

(03-06-2016, 08:31 PM)mpr Wrote: Right now I'm working on a text rpg in tcl.

Oh, neat! Can we have a link?
mpr
Members
(03-06-2016, 09:48 PM)pranomostro Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 08:31 PM)mpr Wrote: Right now I'm working on a text rpg in tcl.

Oh, neat! Can we have a link?

It's too early to show off, but yeah I'll post something soon.
They wrote down my brain
on a hard knot of space,
You cannot turn me.