Hey, trying to get started - Community & Forums Related Discussions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Caverse
Members
Hey all. Glad to finally find a Unix/Linux forum that I can actually post on!

I'm having trouble trying to find a place to start with Unix and C programming. I want to avoid college so that I don't send myself further into debt. I have an aptitude for learning extremely quickly. I was Army EOD (the school is all memorizing and scoring 90% or better on every test and only 2 hours of studying a night (has a 95% fail rate)) so I'm sure I can handle this.

I have an older computer (windows xp age) but I'm sure it'll be sufficient enough to run Unix for practice and such.

I just need a push in the right direction with what tools I will need as well as what books and programs I'll have to pick up to start learning my future career.

Thanks!
venam
Administrators
I posted a thread some time ago that should help people that want fast and easy docs.
http://forums.unixhub.net/showthread.php?tid=419
You should definitely try everything that gets your attention.
The older computer will run fine.
NulledTech
Members
Welcome to UnixHub, Caverse I'm sure with everyone experience here you'll be able to learn and excel in Unix.
venam
Administrators
(07-05-2013, 02:27 PM)NulledTech Wrote: Welcome to UnixHub, Caverse I'm sure with everyone experience here you'll be able to learn and excel in Unix.
>Excel
Sorry, I don't use *that* program (in unix).
Caverse
Members
Fantastic! Thanks for the thread!

Last question. What do I need to be able to do to be considered "proficient" (though I'm looking to be better than proficient) and land a job as a programmer or server administrator?
zygotb
Long time nixers
(07-05-2013, 04:15 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 02:44 PM)venam Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 02:27 PM)NulledTech Wrote: Welcome to UnixHub, Caverse I'm sure with everyone experience here you'll be able to learn and excel in Unix.
>Excel

I think meant excel in the other meaning of the word :p

Welcome aboard! :D

The key being the lack of capitalization of the word "excel."

Anyhow, welcome to Unix Hub.
Someone doesn't appreciate my php generated image!
venam
Administrators
(09-05-2013, 04:56 PM)29a Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 04:15 PM)NeoTerra Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 02:44 PM)venam Wrote:
>Excel

I think meant excel in the other meaning of the word :p

Welcome aboard! :D

The key being the lack of capitalization of the word "excel."

Anyhow, welcome to Unix Hub.
Well said d9u!
yrmt
Grey Hair Nixers
Welcome here :)
Reki
Members
K&R is still one of the best C books, but I personally would not recommend it to a person just starting out. I suggest you read it and see if you can follow without problems. If you can, then stick with it since the author of K&R is the person who created C, which means it's a reliable resource. Otherwise I'd go for shix's recommendation too.

*The C Programming Language, 2nd edition is commonly referred to as K&R because of the authors Kernighan and Ritchie.