Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
pieniek
Members
Hello everyone!
I'm Pieniek, CS student, been using Linux for about 2/3 years (VM) but really got deep into it after I installed Arch about a year ago.
I fell in love with keyboard driven wm's (I never really liked mice, damn you wrist pain), currently rocking bspwm and am slowly heading into the unknown land of wmutils.
I'm also into mechanical keyboards, got a few but all of them have too many keys, I'm planning on building a cheap custom one sometime soon.

Also, if anyone is wondering why my avatar is a little log - that what 'pieniek' means in Polish. Long story.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
~bspwm lyfe~

MX clear switch pok3r here.

Welcome.
arcetera
Members
welcome to the forums! wmutils works with bspwm to an extent iirc so you might wanna check that out
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
(10-02-2016, 04:19 PM)arcetera Wrote: wmutils works with bspwm to an extent
can confirm.
pieniek
Members
(10-02-2016, 04:03 PM)neeasade Wrote: MX clear switch pok3r here.
MX red Quickfire TK and brown G710+, I want to build a Atreus/Planck hybrid, just need to order some cut plywood :)
I never tried clears, I'll have to get them sometime. Zealio/Gateron too.

(10-02-2016, 04:19 PM)arcetera Wrote: welcome to the forums! wmutils works with bspwm to an extent iirc so you might wanna check that out
Hm, never thought of that. But I think I'll jump straight to wmutils alone, maybe with swm or fyre.
neeasade
Grey Hair Nixers
(10-02-2016, 04:32 PM)pieniek Wrote: I want to build a Atreus/Planck hybrid, just need to order some cut plywood :)
Nice! the Atreus is appealing a bit to me - used to do ergodox, plank seems a bit weird to me..

(10-02-2016, 04:32 PM)pieniek Wrote: I never tried clears, I'll have to get them sometime

Clears are what browns promise but fail to deliver.
apk
Long time nixers
the point is the HHKB pro 2 and the unicomp are the two best keyboards in existence so theres that
sagittarius
Members
Welcome ! Glad to see someone I could talk about mechanical keyboards some day.
xero
Long time nixers
welcome to nixers.

feel free to join our irc: irc.unix.chat

as far as keyboard driven wm's go, i was a long time fan of herbstluftwm. but i've recently switched to wmutils as well. it's fun, but imo it's better if you craft it from scratch. fyre has some awesome stuff, but it's also filled with wildefyr's opinions, which you may or may not agree with. so check out all his hard work and decide for yourself ;D
venam
Administrators
(10-02-2016, 06:09 PM)dsplayer14 Wrote: the point is the HHKB pro 2 and the unicomp are the two best keyboards in existence so theres that
UNICOMP.

Welcome to the forums.
z3bra
Grey Hair Nixers
Hello there woody! Do you have any projects undergoing that could interrest us all?
Welcome to the forum btw.
srp
Long time nixers
Welcome to Nixers.
~Seraphim R.P.
the artistnixer formerly known as vypr formerly known as sticky
Wildefyr
Long time nixers
(10-02-2016, 07:52 PM)xero Wrote: welcome to nixers.

feel free to join our irc: irc.unix.chat

as far as keyboard driven wm's go, i was a long time fan of herbstluftwm. but i've recently switched to wmutils as well. it's fun, but imo it's better if you craft it from scratch. fyre has some awesome stuff, but it's also filled with wildefyr's opinions, which you may or may not agree with. so check out all his hard work and decide for yourself ;D

What don't you agree with then xero? ;)
pranomostro
Long time nixers
Pah, the best keyboard is humblehacker.com/keyboard.
I mean, look at it!
That's a beauty!

Oh, by the way, wmutils works™.
welcome.
pieniek
Members
(11-02-2016, 04:10 AM)z3bra Wrote: Hello there woody! Do you have any projects undergoing that could interrest us all?
Welcome to the forum btw.
Nothing at the moment, I just finished my exams and now is the time to find some Python job and clean up all the mess I have made on my first Arch install. Maybe reinstall or hop into Crux. I need to learn a lot o Python and C right now to do anything remotely useful :P

But I was thinking about trying to somehow write a port of the SpaceFN project (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51069.0), which is basicly a additional keyboard layer - you press and hold Space and you get another programmable layer. Space works normally when you let it go without typing anything else.
Someone tried to do this with xmodmap and xcape if I recall correctly, but it had some issues and was unusable.

BTW, I tried Spacemacs this week, and coming from Vim - it's quite interesting. I may be using it for Python projects.
Adrift
Members
That would be fantastic. That's the main reason why I could never get a keyboard so small, the loss of buttons I probably still want/need to use.
pieniek
Members
(12-02-2016, 08:40 AM)Adrift Wrote: That would be fantastic. That's the main reason why I could never get a keyboard so small, the loss of buttons I probably still want/need to use.
If you build your own keyboard based on Teensy or cheap Pro Micro clone it's implemented in TMK firmware which everyone is using. But there is no software implementation for Linux alone.
You can also use Arduino + USB Host Shield and program it with the same firmware, Hasu from Geekhack is also selling little converters which you can program.
Adrift
Members
It will have to be a project for the future. It's on the list. Thanks for the info.